Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Close-ups

Old Nov 4, 2010, 9:18 PM   #1

Default Berries on my bike ride

I usually take my camera on my bike ride now, even though most of the trail is brown and dusty, with the occasional muted green. I went by this tree with the sun behind me about an hour or so before sunset. It was glowing yellow with clusters of berries. It took me a second to realize that it might make a good picture. I had to stop, and turn around to take them. I went by some red berries later, but none of them were in focus (I get in too much of a hurry, I wanted to get home )

Anyway, enjoy, and thanks for looking.
Attached Images

Green Eyed Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 5, 2010, 8:36 PM   #2

Went out again tonight, and tried to get the red berries, in focus this time. I still don't think they're as sharp as they could be. Looking through my archives, it seems red is the hardest to get in focus. Is that a product of the focus systems, or probably just me?

Take care.
Attached Images

Old Nov 7, 2010, 9:31 PM   #3

...and a few purple ones. Getting to the end of bike riding season, with the time change, it'll be pitch black when I get home from work, and pretty soon it'll be too cold for me to go except for the occasional weekend. Thanks for looking.
Attached Images

Last edited by Green Eyed Stranger; Nov 7, 2010 at 9:34 PM.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 3:45 PM   #4

Interesting sets of berries Green Eyed Stranger. Do you have any idea what they are? The purple ones are almost grape-like in the way they are clustered. I have a lot of trouble with reds as well, and from the comments I see on the forums we are not alone in that.

Cheers

Bernice
Old Nov 10, 2010, 8:55 PM   #5

Bernice,
No, sorry I don't know what they are. Just some color I see on my bike ride. I think I've seen the purple ones posted here on Steve's somewhere, but I can't find it now. The purple ones are actually pretty small, the cluster is only about the size of a big strawberry. The red ones are small too (probably another reason I have trouble focusing on them), smaller than a pea. The yellow ones are cherry size, but I don't think they're cherries.

Thanks for looking!
Old Nov 17, 2010, 3:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Eyed Stranger View Post
Bernice,
No, sorry I don't know what they are. Just some color I see on my bike ride. I think I've seen the purple ones posted here on Steve's somewhere, but I can't find it now. The purple ones are actually pretty small, the cluster is only about the size of a big strawberry. The red ones are small too (probably another reason I have trouble focusing on them), smaller than a pea. The yellow ones are cherry size, but I don't think they're cherries.

Thanks for looking!
I've posted shots of the purple berries in the past on the Olympus DSLR forum. There is an area close to my home in Florida where they are plentiful. Just don't eat them, as they are poisonous.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2010, 9:04 PM   #7

Well, I did a little digging, and I think the purple berries are American beautyberry, the red is possumhaw (there was actually a sign on the trail that I kept blowing by), and the yellow is flowering crab apple. I base it on this: http://www.finegardening.com/design/...all-fruit.aspx

Take care.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 8:33 PM   #8

I really like the second shot of the american beautyberry, I would never have guessed the size by the pic. Good research also by the way.
Frank
hkmp50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2010, 10:09 PM   #9

hkmp50, thanks for taking a look. I was playing around trying to get different closeups. I like the way it turned out, and I thought "grapes" too. My "research" consisted of looking up possumhaw, and that link was the second hit A lot of times I've been at places that have placards on things, and I'll think "man, I should have brought something to write with" for half a second before it hits me, "hey, I've got a camera" (BTW I see you're in Kansas. I spent several years in Topeka before coming to Austin a couple of years ago).

Here's one more from the trail, and the reason the next 2-3 months are miserable for a lot of people. Juniper (or mountain cedar).

Take care!
Attached Images

Old Nov 18, 2010, 10:39 PM   #10

LMAO. How in the world would you ever ever have thought of looking up a word like possumhaw. Is that a North Carolina word? Seems like something Granney on the beverly hillvillies would have for a snack before dinner.. I have never in my life ever heard of that particular word, (so much for the good old college education).
I am familiar with the cedar berries as I live in a place called cedar estates, for the obvious reason. I live next to Fort Riley Ks, by the way...Go K-State!!Wooo Hooo.
Frank
hkmp50 is offline   Reply With Quote