Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Close-ups

Old Nov 22, 2010, 4:52 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgny View Post
Paul,

I think this is a beautiful picture. Never use the L word except for my dogs but I'm pretty close here. Wonderful picture. Grass is my favourite motive so I know i little about the difficulties and the possibilities with that kind of photography

Beautiful, Paul.

".... is it a strong enough composition, suitable colours, interesting?" - Yes, all of that and more

Torgny
Many thanks Torgny

I do understand you use words wisely, carefully. I appreciate that! (hope my more frequent use of the L word doesn't degrade it).

Looking forward to more of your 'grass and forms' magic, Torgny. Glad that you could convey your kind comments.

Best wishes

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2010, 4:57 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkmp50 View Post
The green pink and white are nice together Paul, Good eye with that. How long have you had that 7D? pretty good work on that composition, thanks for sharing.
Hi hkmp50

There was that slight hint of pink, which I wanted to bring out (emphasised it a bit more via post processing). I am very glad (big smile) that you particularly appreciated the colour combinations I was trying to combine / balance well.

I've had the 7D since the very start of this year - I think I bought it 2 January 2010. Had a Canon 350D since 2005, which still serves me well.

The 7D's superior focus (more accurate, faster, focus as well as more focus points and ALL of them work well) helps with macros too. Live view is very handy for STILL (or very slow moving macros, like snails!)

But for this photo I really had to use my optical view finder, as the grass was really swaying quickly. So I'm glad it worked (I was lying on my stomach for a while ... getting ready for the best capture!)

Practice makes perfect at the end of the day. I have made many good photos with my Canon 350D and even the basic 'kit lens' (18-55mm lens) gets a lot of great photos with enough 'wow factor' when the lighting is great and composition works powerfully. Even a point and shoot can create stunning photos.

Paul
Old Nov 22, 2010, 4:57 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
I think that is a good one. A definite keeper.
Wow, Stephen, I am very grateful for your kind comments.

I'll not 'send to recycle bin' then!!

Cheers

Paul
Old Nov 22, 2010, 5:20 AM   #14

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj1974 View Post
Hi hkmp50

There was that slight hint of pink, which I wanted to bring out (emphasised it a bit more via post processing). I am very glad (big smile) that you particularly appreciated the colour combinations I was trying to combine / balance well.

I've had the 7D since the very start of this year - I think I bought it 2 January 2010. Had a Canon 350D since 2005, which still serves me well.

The 7D's superior focus (more accurate, faster, focus as well as more focus points and ALL of them work well) helps with macros too. Live view is very handy for STILL (or very slow moving macros, like snails!)

But for this photo I really had to use my optical view finder, as the grass was really swaying quickly. So I'm glad it worked (I was lying on my stomach for a while ... getting ready for the best capture!)

Practice makes perfect at the end of the day. I have made many good photos with my Canon 350D and even the basic 'kit lens' (18-55mm lens) gets a lot of great photos with enough 'wow factor' when the lighting is great and composition works powerfully. Even a point and shoot can create stunning photos.

Paul

Paul,

Conratulations to the 7D. Wish I had one. Yes, focusing is crucial to this kind of photography. Some of the Canon houses have a A Depth option. Have you ever tried it?

//T

"Every man", he says thoughtfully, "should pull a boat over a mountain once in his life". And then, once again, he laughs at himself. (About Werner Herzog) TTL Photography (True To Life Pictures) My Zenfolio Photo site is at http://torgnydellsen.zenfolio.com/

The pictures are optimized for slideshows. The slideshow button is at the upper right. Please use your loudspeakers. There is some music, progressive music from the seventies in the different galleries.
Allagerillagallallerilly!

Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2010, 3:44 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgny View Post
Paul,

Conratulations to the 7D. Wish I had one. Yes, focusing is crucial to this kind of photography. Some of the Canon houses have a A Depth option. Have you ever tried it?

//T
Hi Torgny

Thanks, yes the 7D is a good and capable camera body. The jpgs seem to 'pop' straight out of the camera a bit more than those 350D, but with post processing - both can produce good photos.

My Canon 350D has a "A-Dep" (for auto depth of field option). I only ever used that once or twice, but found I had greater control using the 'manual' settings, like Av. My Canon 7D has a "CA" mode on the dial (I think stands for 'Creative Auto'). You can control flash, exposure, 'sharp' vs 'blurred background' and simple drive mode. I don't think I'll use that either.

Because I understand the cameras and photography theory enough now to use a DSLR - I prefer Av mode for nearly all situations.

Cheers

Paul
Old Nov 22, 2010, 4:10 PM   #16

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

Paul,

Yes, same here. Tried the A Depth though. All focus points light up in the viewfinder, looking a bit like the viewfinder of the 7D. It can give some info of how small aperture you must have to cover a larger DOF. Then you can use that aperture in A mode

Useable at least if you want close ups of grass and want the straws in the background to have some sharpness

Btw At the moment I'm struggling with a superzoom camera. Actually it's much more demanding than SLRs

Last winter I crashed some expensive gear being very uncautious in my relation to nature. Don't want it to happen again

Torgny

"Every man", he says thoughtfully, "should pull a boat over a mountain once in his life". And then, once again, he laughs at himself. (About Werner Herzog) TTL Photography (True To Life Pictures) My Zenfolio Photo site is at http://torgnydellsen.zenfolio.com/

The pictures are optimized for slideshows. The slideshow button is at the upper right. Please use your loudspeakers. There is some music, progressive music from the seventies in the different galleries.
Allagerillagallallerilly!

Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2010, 1:53 PM   #17

Hi Paul,
Love that shot, the composition, colours, dof. everything really. Very nice.
Mark

Lumix Fx-01

d5000
condorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2010, 7:45 PM   #18

Sorry Paul, just got back to this thread. Tho I play with other people's photos, I dont ever post my edits but since you said go ahead...here is my first thoughts when opened the thread originally. Not much difference, just the way I first 'pictured' it in my head.

On a side note, I was in Australia for about a week back in the 60's, just luved it, always wanted to go back but havent made it...yet.
Dennis