Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Close-ups

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Nov 20, 2010, 7:57 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
pj1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Posts: 2,914
Default Swaying challenge

Hello close up friends!

Here is a photo I was pretty happy capturing (at some dunes 2 days ago, while I was camping there).

There were some lovely soft 'grass heads' (seeds) - swaying quite rapidly in the wind. It was windy most of the time I was away. So as many of you will know- (if not all of you) this makes macro photos challenging, particularly as the depth of field required is very small.

However with persistent, and thanks to the quick focussing of my 7D I managed to capture this one (I took 4 of these grass heads, and this was the best imho).

What do you think.... is it a strong enough composition, suitable colours, interesting?

Paul
Attached Images
 
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 20, 2010, 9:19 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Wingman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG
Posts: 4,315
Default

From experience I can attest to how difficult this type of shot is! The lighting and sharpness of the grass head in the foreground is very good. You might try cropping the image to just show the one grass head...just a thought!

Jehan
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2010, 10:07 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
stockdogtta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Greenfield, IL
Posts: 254
Default

I dabble in macro a bit and understand the wind can try one's patience to the limit sometimes. I know nothing really, just my thoughts when first looked at it. Mite try just having the tallest one in focus and the two shorter ones knock the focus down a bit and maybe lessen the red tone a bit.
But it looks good the way it is to me, just a bit of tweaking I mite try and play with.
Dennis
__________________
Dennis
stockdogtta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2010, 4:58 PM   #4
Super Moderator
 
Hards80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 9,046
Default

this one is really nice paul. i really like the colors and how well they work together and the textures of the grass heads. the fact you picked one out that is taller than the rest really gives this a nice anchor so to speak. simple but effective shot here.
__________________
MyFlickr
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2010, 8:32 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Torgny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni
Posts: 10,042
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj1974 View Post
Hello close up friends!

Here is a photo I was pretty happy capturing (at some dunes 2 days ago, while I was camping there).

There were some lovely soft 'grass heads' (seeds) - swaying quite rapidly in the wind. It was windy most of the time I was away. So as many of you will know- (if not all of you) this makes macro photos challenging, particularly as the depth of field required is very small.

However with persistent, and thanks to the quick focussing of my 7D I managed to capture this one (I took 4 of these grass heads, and this was the best imho).

What do you think.... is it a strong enough composition, suitable colours, interesting?

Paul

Paul,

I think this is a beautiful picture. Never use the L word except for my dogs but I'm pretty close here. Wonderful picture. Grass is my favourite motive so I know i little about the difficulties and the possibilities with that kind of photography

Beautiful, Paul.

".... is it a strong enough composition, suitable colours, interesting?" - Yes, all of that and more


Torgny
__________________

"Every man", he says thoughtfully, "should pull a boat over a mountain once in his life". And then, once again, he laughs at himself. (About Werner Herzog) TTL Photography (True To Life Pictures) My Zenfolio Photo site is at http://torgnydellsen.zenfolio.com/

The pictures are optimized for slideshows. The slideshow button is at the upper right. Please use your loudspeakers. There is some music, progressive music from the seventies in the different galleries.
Allagerillagallallerilly!


Last edited by Torgny; Nov 21, 2010 at 8:46 AM.
Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2010, 2:25 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
hkmp50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 1,370
Default

The green pink and white are nice together Paul, Good eye with that. How long have you had that 7D? pretty good work on that composition, thanks for sharing.
__________________
The hardest part of accepting criticism is realizing I am not perfect.......
hkmp50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2010, 6:56 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Steven R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 5,899
Default

I think that is a good one. A definite keeper.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2010, 4:46 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
pj1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Posts: 2,914
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelpee View Post
From experience I can attest to how difficult this type of shot is! The lighting and sharpness of the grass head in the foreground is very good. You might try cropping the image to just show the one grass head...just a thought!

Jehan
Hi Jehan

Thanks for your empathy! Unfortunately I didn't have my macro lens with me, so I couldn't get close enough to capture just one grass head (they're fairly small).

However I'll keep it in mind for another occasion - and if the wind isn't present (because even closer up would make it much harder yet!)

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2010, 4:48 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
pj1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Posts: 2,914
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockdogtta View Post
I dabble in macro a bit and understand the wind can try one's patience to the limit sometimes. I know nothing really, just my thoughts when first looked at it. Mite try just having the tallest one in focus and the two shorter ones knock the focus down a bit and maybe lessen the red tone a bit.
But it looks good the way it is to me, just a bit of tweaking I mite try and play with.
Dennis
Hello Dennis

Glad you appreciate the 'wind trying patience' aspect also.

I think, similar as I wrote above to Jehan, if I could have another go (on a less windy day) I would love to try with my 100mm macro lens... but I didn't have it with me on my camping trip.

Maybe you meant I should try knocking the focus with post processing? Hmmm.. that's an idea. If you have a though to do an edit, I'd be very pleased for you to try (if you want a larger version, please message me).

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2010, 4:50 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
pj1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Posts: 2,914
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
this one is really nice paul. i really like the colors and how well they work together and the textures of the grass heads. the fact you picked one out that is taller than the rest really gives this a nice anchor so to speak. simple but effective shot here.
Cheers Dustin

I specifically did try to present some of the 'warm' feeling, while still having natural enough greens, etc. So I did boost the warmth in a moderate post processing.

Yes exactly, I did want that tallest grass head to be the photos anchor point. The photo reminds me of another even simpler macro I took about a year ago in my back yard of a 'normal' grass head, with my fence as a dark background. That also received a lot of positive feedback.

The grass type in the photo in this post from my camping trip doesn't exist in my back yard sadly... I think they are a coastal grass. All the more reason to travel & camp again sometime! :-)

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 4:26 PM.