Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Close-ups

Old Apr 22, 2011, 10:57 AM   #1

Default Fuji HS10 - struggling with focus on close-ups

I've just started using my Fuji HS10 and am struggling to get focus for close-ups or when in macro mode. I find the manual confusing, or maybe I'm just losing grey matter as I get older! Maybe there's a HS10 user who can help me?
Let's use the common example of photographing a bee on a flower. You can't get too close with the camera or you disturb the subject. So you may have a shooting distance of, say, 12inches. Whether in Auto or SRAuto more I have the same difficulties - I can't get it focused in non-macro mode (using manual or autofocus) and I can't get it focused in macro mode (using manual or autofocus) unless I pull way back from the subject and then lose any close-up shots. All this applies however the zoom is set. In autofocus mode if I half-press the shutter button, I can see the focus go from blurred to focused then to blurred again, but my shots are all blurred. I can't get focus to lock.
I am hand-holding the camera, which is how I aim to use it in all cases, carrying a tripod doesn't exactly go with a walk in the country or one of those occasions when you take the camera "just in case". So I understand that some shake might affect the focus - I do get the blur/camera shake symbol and sometimes !AF symbol for failure to focus - even at relatively low levels of zoom. However, I'd had no similar problems with my old Olympus when zooming in macro modes. I've been using Auto or SR Auto in order to let the camera make the most appropriate settings choices, so that I could concentrate on the focus. I really need to master this, since I often take such close-up shots, it's something I could do with my older, cheaper, simpler camera but not yet with my HS10.

I'd appreciate help from those who have gone before.
alan81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 23, 2011, 4:34 AM   #2

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

Alan,

Try spot metering

//T

"Every man", he says thoughtfully, "should pull a boat over a mountain once in his life". And then, once again, he laughs at himself. (About Werner Herzog) TTL Photography (True To Life Pictures) My Zenfolio Photo site is at http://torgnydellsen.zenfolio.com/

The pictures are optimized for slideshows. The slideshow button is at the upper right. Please use your loudspeakers. There is some music, progressive music from the seventies in the different galleries.
Allagerillagallallerilly!

Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote