Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Close-ups

Old Apr 24, 2011, 8:26 PM   #1

Default An Easter Katydid,,

I decided to do a macro shoot today, took the extension tube off the ol Sigma 105 and headed out to the woods,, a warm day here in Central Florida, as we once again approach the upper 80's to 90 deg, I knew to wear my long pants today as I was afraid the mosquitoes would be INTENSE, and INTENSE is putting it lightly !! every time I'd stop for a shoot I was absolutely swarmed, and I mean SWARMED almost to the point where I had to leave, luckily I did bring my bug repellent which helps somewhat but they still seem to find those areas,,, there must have been 200 mosquitoes swarming me though when I stopped,,, anyways I did find this fella, a Katydid enjoying his morning feast,, he didnt seem to mind me, I got right in on him as he ate,, I'm amazed at the little "fingers" that force food into his mouth,, amazing to watch these guys eat,, and Look at those legs,, this guy can launch away from its predators if he needed to ,,

5 by jaharris1001, on Flickr

2a by jaharris1001, on Flickr

1a by jaharris1001, on Flickr

4a by jaharris1001, on Flickr

Jimmy Buffett
jaharris1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 24, 2011, 8:38 PM   #2

You are a trooper to brave the mosquitoes to bring us these beautiful shots!

Insects have the strangest eyes, all of them!

Panasonic FZ150, FZ35 and GF1; Nikonos V when underwater

~~Art is in the eye of the camera holder~~
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2011, 8:49 PM   #3

Default great mosquito solution

JH-don't know if you've ever tried ThermaCell mosquito repellent, but I've used these many times & they are absolutely terrific. By far the best repellent I've ever used. You can get them at almost any outdoor store. They sure come in hand here in Texas & I'm sure they would be nice in Florida as well.
Attached Images

Old Apr 24, 2011, 8:49 PM   #4

Just a couple of words, thank you. Thank you for sharing just stunning shots of things that live with us on this planet that most people never get to see.

jj
jjdog2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2011, 9:32 PM   #5

Thank you Saly, Jerry and JJ for looking and for commenting,,
Jerry,, ya know, I never seen or heard about those things,, I will certainly have to have a look for one, we have several of the large outdoor chains here and am certain I can find one,, I guess it operates off some sorta sonci wave or something ?? Ive seen TV commercials for such things but never thought they worked
JJ,, its MY pleasure to share these images, thats half the fun for me I enjoy taking the pics and sharing them as well,, youre right that most people never get to see these and other amazing creatures up close and personal and I find it to be a real treat !!
Thanks again

Jimmy Buffett
Old Apr 25, 2011, 5:16 AM   #6

I look for your posts and love them. My favorite was the recent one of the dragonfly, but they are all fantastic!

Quote:
Jerry,, ya know, I never seen or heard about those things,, I will certainly have to have a look for one, we have several of the large outdoor chains here and am certain I can find one,, I guess it operates off some sorta sonci wave or something ??
It is actually heat activated by a small butane cylinder. I wear it on my belt. The repellent is a naturally occurring repellent found in Chrysanthemums & was developed by the military, if I remember correctly, to repel malaria carrying mosquitoes. We have wild blackberries throughout our pasture and my wife keeps one with her when picking the blackberries. There are a ton of mosquitoes around the vines & she almost never gets a bite. I use it when outdoors & won't go without it during mosquito season, which in Texas is probably 9 months out of the year. It's so much better that putting on the mosquito repellent/deet all over me. There have been times when the mosquitoes were so bad that I've used both, but usually the thermacell does the job.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 6:05 AM   #7

Those are great shots! How does taking the the extension tube off affect your pictures?

Have Fun - Be Nice - Don't Break Anything
Clint501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2011, 6:37 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint501 View Post
Those are great shots! How does taking the the extension tube off affect your pictures?
Glad you asked that, I was wondering that as well.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 6:58 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint501 View Post
thanks for the comments everyone,,
I'l certainly have to have a look for that device in the outdoor stores, as here in Florida we deal with them from now to next Winter too and as the rainy season comes they can get worse,, when shooting macros I can be sitting on a subject for a while and there's nothing worse then to be swarmed by hungry mosquitoes
Clint, to answer your question, Ive found that by adding an extension tube to the lens it greatly affects my DOF, for me macro is all about sharpness and I try, not always successfully) but I try to have for the most part a good portion of the image in focus, so therefore I find that by backing away from my subject just a little my overall DOF is better, when using tubes I just find my focus and DOF is considerably shorter, of course the magnification is greater and thats got something to do with it as well,

Jimmy Buffett
Old Apr 25, 2011, 7:42 AM   #10

Jerry, you've got me curious about that device,, I went and checked it out online at a HUGE retailer,, watched a video on it,, seems great,, curious though, it would seem to me that you'd have to be stationary for it to really be affective, I wonder how it works as you stroll through the woods ??? I also assume it can be worn on a belt pack of some kind ? it appears from your pic that thats what it comes with,, it says up to 12 hours of protection for the butane and 4 hours with the replaceable pads

Jimmy Buffett