Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Close-ups

Old Jun 26, 2011, 1:43 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
Well you didnt fail because you tried. But unless you are really Stevie Wonder, you can see they are all out of focus. Its tricky to get the light right, the ISO low enough so there isnt any noise, the fstop small enough to give you good depth of field and shutter speed fast enough to get that stop action needed. Everything looks fine except for the focus.
Thanks! Yeah, the 3rd is for sure out of focus but I don't see a problem with the 2nd one.
Nikon 50mm f1.8
Nikon SB24 Speedlight
Lowepro Slingshot 200AW
NoFlashPhotography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2011, 8:29 AM   #12

Here is the second one. The green is the only part in focus. The rest in red are parts which draw the eye and are clearly out of focus. The important part to be concerned with is the rising crown or the rising column. Your depth of field should include the total thickness of those. If you can include the ripples thats a bonus.
Attached Images

Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2011, 1:50 PM   #13

Quote:
Here is the second one. The green is the only part in focus. The rest in red are parts which draw the eye and are clearly out of focus. The important part to be concerned with is the rising crown or the rising column. Your depth of field should include the total thickness of those. If you can include the ripples thats a bonus.
I guess you're right. Thanks for the help, I'll try using a little larger F stop, say f11? That way I can focus on more of the image.
Nikon 50mm f1.8
Nikon SB24 Speedlight
Lowepro Slingshot 200AW
Old Jun 26, 2011, 3:51 PM   #14

I use the onboard flash when I do my drops. I want to get the fastest shutter speed I can get, with the lowest ISO so there is no noise and an fstop that will give me good depth of field. I dont think there is any one set of numbers because it depends on your setup and available light. I have always had the glass balcony door as backdrop with skylight coming in from above. It helps. Also try to keep the main subject in the centre more so your eyes dont have to see the out of focus parts before they wonder over to the main subject. How about posting a shot of your setup. Im always looking for a better way to do it all manually. Ive seen setups with laser beams, auto shutter release and other ways that, to me, takes the spontaneous fun out of it. Dont give up on this. When you get that shot that is spot on is such joy. The focus, the colors, the composition, the perfect time with a nice column and large drop, or a nice exploding crown. The drop rate is important if you want to get a drop column piercing another drop. That is my goal for next shooting.
Old Jun 26, 2011, 8:52 PM   #15

I have a d50 which syncs at 1/500th and I was just using an SB24 off camera bouncing off a white piece of paper.
Nikon 50mm f1.8
Nikon SB24 Speedlight
Lowepro Slingshot 200AW
Old Jun 30, 2011, 7:10 AM   #16

The dish of water I use is never deep. To find the focus spot I start the water dripping. I stand an old AA battery in the dish under the drips. Then I focus on the battery. When thats done just take the battery away and leave it. Now you should have a nice depth of field and whatever comes up will all be in focus.
Old Jul 1, 2011, 11:06 PM   #17

Quote:
The dish of water I use is never deep. To find the focus spot I start the water dripping. I stand an old AA battery in the dish under the drips. Then I focus on the battery. When thats done just take the battery away and leave it. Now you should have a nice depth of field and whatever comes up will all be in focus.
Yeah I used a pen but it didn't seem to work.
Nikon 50mm f1.8
Nikon SB24 Speedlight
Lowepro Slingshot 200AW
Old Jul 2, 2011, 6:40 AM   #18

I tried a pen but found that it wouldnt stand up by itself, and it was hard to hold so it was exactly perpendicular to the water and focus at the same time. You must use manual focus.
Old Jul 3, 2011, 12:36 AM   #19

Quote:
I tried a pen but found that it wouldnt stand up by itself, and it was hard to hold so it was exactly perpendicular to the water and focus at the same time. You must use manual focus.
Yeah I think I will try a battery next time, thanks.
Nikon 50mm f1.8
Nikon SB24 Speedlight
Lowepro Slingshot 200AW