Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Close-ups

Old Jan 14, 2014, 10:00 PM   #1

Default Raynox DCR 150 trial

I ordered this from Amazon last week, and it came in today. I had read some reviews that said it works well on the Tamron 70-300 lens, which I have, so I tried it out. I can't wait until the weekend to go bug hunting. Anyway, this is not scientific, but it may serve to entertain, especially if anyone is considering this or the DCR 250. Sorry for the subject matter, but it was already getting dark when I retrieved it from my P.O.Box. It also works well on my Canon SX40HS.

These are all taken with my old Sony A300, Tamron 70-300 LD DI Macro lens with the Raynox DCR 150 attached, and all shot from a distance within 20 inches of subject.

1) 70mm f4 on board flash

2) 105mm f4 on board flash

3) 140mm f4.5 on board flash

4) 200mm f4.5 on board flash

5) 300mm f5.6 on board flash

Does anybody else use this thing? If so, how are your results, and what do you think of the image quality you get? I would be interested to know. Thanks for looking.

My Flickr
-Robert-

Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 15, 2014, 8:55 AM   #2

I have both the DCR-150 and DCR-250. While they have a very narrow DOF, they certainly provide excellent results, even though a little difficult to work with. I've posted lots of images with them in the past. Where they REALLY shine is with a bridge camera. I've even used them with a macro light ring. They consistently perform well. Lots of versatility and bang for the buck.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2014, 7:37 PM   #3

Hey Gary, you are so right about the DOF being narrow. Today I snapped the Raynox on the end of my Canon SX40HS and discovered I am going to need practice. Here's a shot of my mouse at full zoom (150mm X 5.6 multiplier= 840mm equivalent). F5.8, 1/60th sec and on board flash. Shows the narrow DOF at f5.8. Might improve at f8 which is the smallest aperture this camera has.

My next victim was the desk protector . First pic is what it looks like at 34mm (equivalent) and f3.5.

The next shot is the desk protector again, but this time at 666mm (equivalent) and f5.8. I'm not sure why I didn't realize I wasn't zoomed all the way out, but this is the one I got. I will try full zoom on this later and see if there is a huge difference, or not.

The last two are shots of a Mockingbird feather I found in the yard, while raking and hauling leaves today.

And, another view.

So this is where I am at this point. No bugs, too cold, no tiny flowers for another two months, but I will remain alert and try to find somrthing to shoot in the meantime. Practice never hurts.

I know, I shouldn't complain about the weather...I COULD live in Kentucky LOL! Stay warm my friend!

My Flickr
-Robert-

Old Jan 15, 2014, 9:37 PM   #4

Trying to keep warm and so far winning the war.

Robert, you may want to pick up an inexpensive macro rail http://goo.gl/V45LBZ I find they help me a lot.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2014, 12:21 AM   #5

Thanks for the link, Gary. I have to get that thing now.. Oh well, it's not expensive, but now I will have to dust off my tripod.

My Flickr
-Robert-