Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Close-ups

Old Mar 7, 2004, 6:12 PM   #1

Default Flowers

All feedback welcomed:

Howard
howardka is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 9, 2004, 3:09 PM   #2

Nice shots. When shooting macros and close-ups it's very important to control the depth of fields correctly. I think you have som problems with this. You should also check your focus point a bit better.
In the first shot, the green leaf in the middle seems to be very sharp, while the the flower itself lack a bit of sharpness. It's a bit of the same with the second shot. You might try to add a bit of contrast to make the yellow color more crisp.
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2004, 6:02 PM   #3

Interesting observations Klaus. I wonder if we have a monitor calibration issue here. Mine or yours because when I look at these I don't see the same effects. For instance in the first shot the pink flowers in the foreground are very sharp while the green leaves are slightly blurred. Also the yellow in the second shot really jumps out on my monitor.

I'd love to hear some additional comments from some others to see if it's my monitor that needs adjusting.

Thanks for your comments I guess I need to check these more closely.
Old Mar 9, 2004, 8:29 PM   #4

I dunno... your shots seem good to me, but I certainly dont claim to be the picture wizard claus is.
I would have to say the first picture is my favorite out of those three.
Gandalf065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2004, 8:34 PM   #5

i see wat klaus is saying....hmmm
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2004, 2:51 AM   #6

Let me explain it again. The one green leaf in the lower mid part of the first shot is pinsharp to me. The flowers lack somehow of the same kind of sharpness. They not really blurred - but the focus seems a bit wrong. It's in the small department, but that the way I see it.
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2004, 11:58 AM   #7

I think I see what Klaus is getting at or my monitor has the same characteristics as his. The central part of the bougainvillea flower in shot #1 is not as sharply foccused as the leaf near the middle of the pciture - at least on my monitor also.

Howard your St Martin flower #8 does a better job of the sharpness. My apologies for linking to your photo temporarily, but your #8 photo is posted here for comparison purposes.

Even at medium resolution the difference is obvious. Note the white flower in the middle of the purple bract how much sharper it is. The leaf behind it is fuzzier. I think this is what Klaus is trying to explain should have happened in the first photo you posted.
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2004, 4:09 PM   #8

Klaus, Selvin,

Thank you for taking so much time to consider how I can improve my skills. Your advice is greatly appreciated. It's why I keep coming back to this site.

Interestingly, I am viewing the photos on my monitor at work today and on this monitor I can see your points very clearly. I guess I'm going to have to print these to see how they really look.

I find this very odd. Certainly I know you can have differences in color, brightness and contrast between monitors but I hadn't seen this "DOF" issue before. I wonder if the fact that I'm using a 19" monitor at home and a 17" here at work has anything to do with this?

Howard