Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Close-ups

Old Apr 24, 2004, 2:24 PM   #1

Default spring shots 2!!!(much better....plz look and comment lol)

this was the photographic fight of the century......it probably took me and hour to get these shots right.....fighting wind and sun placement and my own frustration.....

but i finally managed to get the focus on the right thing (this would be impossible with auto focus....) and have it with the right exposure....i hope you like them....lol....i like them....but i don't know...lol

enjoy

number one.....my favorite i think....

number two

number 3...
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 25, 2004, 4:03 PM   #2

there is that lens flare again!!! lol
sun was pretty hi in the sky that day....and this and the tree and the dormer shots were all pointed up into the sky...lol
Old Apr 25, 2004, 4:35 PM   #3

Technically, the first photo in particular is excellent. What you have here is the sort of picture you stash away for the day when you need that branch or those leaves in another picture. A lot of very professional photographers do this, so there's no reason you can't, too.

The other choice is to play with the picture. What it's lacking is focal point, a center of interest. How about if you check to see if you've another photo with a person walking. Could you create a little guy sauntering on down that branch? Heck, a family having a picnic. Call it a family tree.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2004, 4:46 PM   #4

thanks
it would definately be better with a butterfly or a bud or something in there.......

but wat do you mean by stashing it away for another photo? how would i add it to a photo?....
Old Apr 25, 2004, 8:30 PM   #5

Agree with Barbara, the first shot appers to be the best.
You stash it away for another day and then use Photoshop or similar to layer it in with another shot of say flowers that lacks a nicely composed set of green leaves.

One common stash is clear blue skies for those overcast days.
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2004, 8:53 PM   #6

oh i gotcha.....it'll be tough to sneak this one in there unless the shot is facing the sky...lol
Old Apr 26, 2004, 9:57 AM   #7

Quote:
it'll be tough to sneak this one in there
You never know. I've had shots that I couldn't figure out what to do with until something presented itself on my doorstep. And Selvin is correct about those skies. Some photographers deliberately take "boring" sky shots for the single purpose of using them in photos where the sky is downright icky (technical term).

If you haven't yet gotten yourself some kind of cataloguing software for your photos, you might want to start thinking about it. As time goes on, you'll have far too many photos to easily find among them that leaf picture that would be the perfect fix for the photo of a fire on a mountaintop.
Old Apr 26, 2004, 10:02 AM   #8

i have "zoombrowser" but i don't think that is wat your talking about......i have all my shots on cds...so would a "cataloging" program show them in thumbnails even if they aren't on my harddrive?

lol....took me a while to realize that by "fire on the mountaintop" you meant a blown out area....and not an actual fire.....i couldn't get why you'd want to cover it up....lol
Old Apr 26, 2004, 10:16 AM   #9

No! I literally meant a fire burning on top of a mountain! Of course, you have no reason whatsoever to see the same imaginary picture I was seeing: A shot of a fire burning in a forest preserve where there's nothing but the mountain and the fire. Spectacular to the eye, boring on the print. Those close-up leaves could supply a visual frame for the fire.

Yes, depending on the software, you can catalog what's on CD. Until I got an extra hard drive just for storing my photos, I had to catalog from my back-up CDs. I know that Adobe Photoshop Album does this because that's what I'm using, but other programs do it, too. I bought Adobe's simply because it's so compatible with Photoshop and .PSD files. I use it mainly for the database it creates from "tags" I supply for the individual photos. For instance, I can tell it to show me only photos of winter and only those winter photos that are in black-and-white.
Old Apr 26, 2004, 2:33 PM   #10

oh ok ...lol
i guess i'd have to extract them from the bg too....

so would you say this is a
Great
Good
Decent
Bad
Terrible

picture?

i mean...do you think they only thing i could use it for is to paste into other photos? does the lack of distinct focal point ruin the picture?

would a crop help? i mean....i really would like to find a way to make this picture better.....i'm not sure if i can get another shot of it....being that it is raining today..and i'm not sure if the sun will be in the same spot any time soon...and hopefully the rain won't mess up that little leaf clump..
but is there any way (in camera lol) that i can take another shot that would be better? maybe more of a close up?
lol

thanks for your help...