Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Close-ups

Old Apr 28, 2004, 10:03 PM   #1

Default Dime you out

mrkryz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 29, 2004, 10:26 AM   #2

Nice try but you need to work on depth of field and lighting. It has been my experience that coins are very difficult to photograph. The depth of field is easy to fix (if you are using a SLR). Simply stop the lense down to the smallest aperture (largest f-number) and adjust the shutter speed to get the correct exposure. This definitely requires a tripod and, if the camera supports it, a cable release.

As for the lighting, that's a tough one. When the lens is that close to the subject it is difficult to light. A trick I used many years ago worked out quite well. Place the coin on the floor with a white sheet of paper under it. Mount the camera on a tripod about 2-3 ft above the coin. Use a zoom lens in the range of 100-150mm. At the time I did the coin shots, I used a 135mm prime lens (zoom not available at that time). I think I mounted the lens on a short (10 mm) extension tube. I usec a small hi-intensity desk lamp to light the coin. The results were excellent.

Now, the most important thing. It is illegal to photograph United States Currency that is still in circulation. You can photograph part of the coin or bill but you cant show the whole thing.
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2004, 10:38 AM   #3

calr,

Thanks for the info ! LOL I changed the pic above Cant control DOF too much since Im using a 18-55mm lens w/ an inverted 50mm 1.8 to get the macro lol
mrkryz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2004, 4:57 PM   #4

Here is the British 10 pence piece. It is actually closer to the size of a quarter than a dime. AS you can see, I don't place my coins flat and then try to hover over them with the camera. Instead I have an improvisedcoin 'easel' that holds the coin at about a 60 degree angle and then I position the camera on a mini-tripod also at a 60 degree angle so there is minimal perspective distortion. I move the tripod back and forth to ensure correct focus.

This setup allow me to use simple overhead lighting and zoom to avoid lighting issues. The slight angle of the coin serves to catch some shadows.

The final image takes advantage of the 7Mp resolution of the Sony V3 to allow a full size crop.

Meryl Arbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2004, 7:02 AM   #5

Here is the dutch euro. I'm not sure if I'd be breaking any laws ifI published the whole thing. Picture taken with coin flat on my desk, tripod on desk Powershot S60 with +7 Kodak diopter hanging upside down between the legs of the tripod. Desklamp on the side.

Maarten
Attached Images

Maarten is offline   Reply With Quote