Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Close-ups

Old May 9, 2004, 10:25 PM   #1

I spent a good half-hour this afternoon trying to get some good super macros of these guys, this was about the best I could to. This one was on my dad's wood pile, which has a rubber cover over it, hence the black background. These things really move a good bit faster than you'd think!
Guitarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 9, 2004, 10:33 PM   #2

well....faster than i "thought" lol.....i know exactly wat you mean....

now two suggestions....if you can....shoot in the brightest area possible...that will allow a fast shutter and a small arperture....and for these photos...you need as much DOF as you can get.....

second....try getting more at a lower angle...it is physically impossible to get to it's "eye level" unless it is on something other than the ground....lol but try to get at as low an angle as you can....

oh yeah.....if you can get some more DOF it would be a great shot...you managed to get most of the middle of the body in focus....which is the hardest part when using autofocus....the DOF was too small..so not much else can be in focus....

nice job

raise the arperture number (if you can...) and shoot in bright areas so it doesn't underexpose....and lower the angle....and you'll get some nice ones!

post them if you get some more plz!
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2004, 10:46 PM   #3

I was in complete auto mode when I took this one, and it was fairly windy outside this afternoon too, which didn't help things any. I'm not the steadiest hand with a camera, and my older Sony didn't help me in this regard as it has steady shot on it, which is cool, until you go to a different camera, lol. You get out of the habit of holding the camera really steady. Oh well, I'll keep trying. My mom has this flowering bush (I forget what it's called) that ants crawl all over the buds before they bloom, but it was so windy that I couldn't keep the camera focused on them for them blowing around, and this was the only other place I could find any ants this afternoon.
Old May 9, 2004, 10:48 PM   #4

uggh....isn't the wind a killer?! lol

when you get a calmer day....try it out

oh yeah....hold the shutter halfway....and use the settings it has pop up in manual mode....and stop up or down accordingly...
Old May 9, 2004, 11:01 PM   #5

Yeah, the wind really does me in, especially since I am out of the practice of holding the camera really still. I think I'm gonna pick up a monopod to help me out with that a little.

I am going to try to start taking some manual setting shots pretty soon, I've been reading the camera manual on them so I can figure it out.

I normally do hold the shutter down halfway, although the S5000 has a dual setting on the auto focus, where you can have it only focus when you hold the shutter halfway down, or you can set it on constant autofocus. Constant mode stillbenefitsfrom holding the button down, though, as it will still "search" for what to focus on if you release the shutter button.

I wasn't quite zoomedto full zoom on this one, either, as I was trying to get the whole ant in the frame, and I couldn't do it at full zoom.
Old May 9, 2004, 11:03 PM   #6

i'd suggest looking up some books or articles on exposure and stuff like that...that will help you learn wat all the manual settings do to...and the books don't have to be on "digital photography" they can just be nature or all around photography....