Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Close-ups

Old May 10, 2004, 11:41 AM   #1

I have become inspired by the photos here, and as a new digi cam owner I find the pics here amazing. It occurs to me that learnig manual controls is the best way for pics. My first macro attemt, please any help is welcome. New Panasonic FZ-10 owner, eager to learn. As you can see Northern Ontario is a bit behind in the spring dept.
Attached Images

photonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 10, 2004, 12:34 PM   #2

Newbie or not, you did an admirable job. One thing you might do if you're interested in doing more of these is look at and read all the posts over in the Weekly Photo Challenge forum where the subject line begins with "Close." We were all dealing with what you're seeing in your own photo--a shallow depth of field. This is something you need to get really familiar with since it can make or break a close-up.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2004, 5:56 PM   #3

"Depth of field", until today I did not know what that was. Excuse my ignorance, "b", you mention a shallow DOF, how does that relate to my picture? Any info will help. Maybe you can see the difference in the DOF in my second picture and help with a comment?The Pini's are starting to open, this pic was taken six hours later.
Attached Images

Old May 10, 2004, 6:23 PM   #4

Depth of field refers to the area of sharpest focus. Notice in your photos that only the top of the plant is in sharp focus and then everything grows increasingly blurry as its distance from that plant top increases. This is a shallow depth of field. Smaller apertures increase the area of sharpest focus, large apertures decrease it. It tends to be noticed easily in close-ups such as yours. A shallow depth of field is not a flaw unless you didn't intend to have blur around your subject. It's one of the tools used to focus attention on an object.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2004, 8:06 PM   #5

A great big thank-you "b". An online photo classroom, I like it. The absolute beginner I am, I didn't notice "all" of the manual controls. At least when I "assume" something about my new camera, it only makes an a$$ of me, lol. BTW, I did check out the "close" titles in the challenge and now have a better understanding. Thanx again and looking forward to more help from this forum.