Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Close-ups

Old Jun 14, 2004, 6:01 PM   #1

I finally used the reverse lens trick. It was an old Nikkor 1.8 50mm. My camera has no thread or the ability to change lenses so I had to push it against the camera when taking pictures. This resulted in some being ruined through camera shake and most having vignetting. I have cropped that out as best I can without wasting the picture. It is still present in some. I'll post some and links to others.

This is my coat. The lining and the outside.

http://img50.photobucket.com/albums/...e/coat_003.jpg
http://img50.photobucket.com/albums/...e/coat_004.jpg

This is a close-up of the foil tiger on a bottle of Tiger Beer.

A couple of close-ups of my ******* (blanked because of my entry in the photo challenge

I then found a way to attach the lens to the camera. Good old elastic bands. I had to be careful not to damage the camera because its lens slides in and out and I didn't want to impede it.

Wooden table taken with fixed lens.

http://img50.photobucket.com/albums/...e/wood_003.jpg
http://img50.photobucket.com/albums/...e/wood_004.jpg

I'll give this some more tries tomorrow. There was no light left when I finished. I spotted some black fly on a plant, I'll see how well it performs on them.
ferny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 14, 2004, 10:41 PM   #2

I hate to sound dumb but does it mean you attach the lens back to front?? and would an old zoom lens work???
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2004, 10:49 PM   #3

it's an effect that zuhdo introduced to us....you actually face an old lens infront of your G3's lens BACKWARDS......so that the normal lens mount is facing out...this allows you to focus very closely....

nice shots ferny....this technique is a blast isn't it?
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2004, 10:52 PM   #4

so my 200 zoom would not be suitable????
Old Jun 14, 2004, 10:56 PM   #5

i'm not sure....it probably be worth a try....lol

i've used a 50mm....
Old Jun 14, 2004, 11:07 PM   #6

well ive got both so will have to give it a go:-)
Old Jun 15, 2004, 1:55 AM   #7

I like the photo of the foil tiger. It's got some neat reflections going on.

aladyforty, when youreverse lenses, the magnification depends on the focal length of both lenses. On a 35mm camera with a 100mm lens, if you stacked a 50mm lens on it you would get a magnification of 2:1. So, if you stacked a lens of equal or greater focal length than your primary lens, you would actually make the image smaller.

I took this picture of a dollar bill with areversed 50mmlens on a Olympus 2100UZ zoomed to 380mm. I was just playing around with the setup, but you can see that at this magnification, depth of field was so shallow thatparts of the bill that weren't perfectly flat on the table were out of the DOF. (You can see my finger in the lower portion of the image where I was trying to keep it flat).

Oh, and I lucked out on mounting the lenson my camera. I had a step up right that was just slightly larger than the filter mount on the stacked lens. So, I just added a bit of tape and it screwed on just like a filter.

Sorry for the long post. Have fun!

photo_mage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2004, 4:39 AM   #8

I gave it a try with the 50, it is very hard to do, I ended up with the photo in the middle of a black circle, it could be cropped to a reasonable size. cant say as I was impressed with the results though, yes I can get in closer but the photos are not as good as yours. Maybe with practice and the fact that im holding the lens in front of the camera did not help.
Old Jun 15, 2004, 4:57 AM   #9

As long as the lens is manual it is fine. I have two Minolta AF lenses which start at 28mm. They would be great but the aperture is set camera side by a little lever. I can't get my finger on it easily and even if I could it would produce camera shake. Its aperture is spring loaded and stays at a high number until you move the lever.

It's a shame you've got a black circle. Did you zoom in with your cameras fitted lens? That should do it. And make sure the aperture is fully open.
ferny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2004, 9:48 AM   #10

you're camera should be pretty similar to mine right alady? i have the g2...

when i do it, i have the arperture of the 50mm wide open, and it decently small on the camera, (you have to have the 50mm wide open to avoid vignetting..) and then zoom in your 3x optical, and that should take care of the vignetting....maybe it'll have a little.....

i've played around with going to 11x even though it's digital...that works well too....