Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Close-ups

Old Jul 13, 2004, 10:33 PM   #1

Seeing the results of others who are dabbling into reverse lens macro, made me decide that I should try this out also, as the cost is minimal.

I made a macro reverse lens adapter by epoxying a 49mm filter (which I removed the glass from), to a 58-49 step down ring. This allows me to hook up a 50mm Olympus lens to my Canon lenses.

I used a 100-300mm Canon lens as the base. This was fully zoomed out with the Olympus lens attached reverse on the end of it. I also used a copy stand, and one fluorescent lamp for lighting.

My mistake was to use a cheap desk for my set up. One that moved and vibrated. Also, I found that the Drebel, with battery grip, large zoom lens and Olympus 50mmcombined weight was too much for the copy stand. This also induced vibrations. As well, I am sure that the mirror caused vibrations also. I am thinking more and more about installing the hacked firmware to get mirror lock up.

Anyways, this is fairly extreme macro photography as my coverage seems to be 4mm by 3mm full frame. I haven't tried the kit lens with the reverse lens yet. That will be for another date.

Subject is a quarter. Depth of field is very minimal using the large zoom maxed out. Sorry for the quality of the picture. I think I will play with this more in the coming weeks to experiment with the set up and to improve the quality of results.

Attached Images

Chako is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 14, 2004, 5:13 AM   #2

I can see what you mean about the vibrations. When I tried it with my film camera and a 300mm lens I had problems with the floor. It was a pig to focus to. The camera didn't want to auto-focus so I had to do it by hand with a mixture of turning the lens and moving the camera. It didn't come out very well. I'm putting it down to vibrations and using f27. I don't think my camera has mirror lock up. It may be in one of the custom functions, but I'm pretty sure it's not.

Keep trying chako, that is one great thing about digital. You can keep going until you get it right and you know when you have.
ferny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2004, 4:48 PM   #3

Ok, here is one using the DRebel Kit lens+ Olympus 50mm.

Noticed that I am getting severe vignetting, and thus cropped this photo.

Subject is the marble slab I do my other hobby on, leather crafting.
Attached Images

Chako is offline   Reply With Quote