Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Close-ups

Old Jul 18, 2004, 6:02 AM   #1

Ok, people seemed to enjoy the macro game. Lots of people guessed, just in the wrong thread. :lol:

The older users may find this one easier.

This one was taken with a reversed 50mm lens.

What I'll do is post a picture of an object using a reversed lens and let you try and guess what it is. If you don't guess correctly by the second day I will post another picture which may or may not have been taken with a reversed lens. If it is a small object then not using a reversed lens could show the entire thing. :lol: On the third day if you still don't know I will post the object in its entirety and hope you know what it is.

There is no point checking my photobucket account for the other images, they're not uploaded. :-)

If a reversed lens is used it will be a 50mm lens mounted backwards on a zoom which goes up to 114mm (film equivalent). Photos aren't taken with quality in mind, only function. I won't necessarily say if someone has got it right as soon as I see that someone has. I may leave it a while to see what other people think it is.
ferny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 18, 2004, 7:57 AM   #2

Hi there, my name is Linda andI'm new to the forum and to the Nikon Coolpix8700 which Ipurchased last Wednesday so haven't had much practice with it yet but I'm loving it so far :-)I previously had a Canon PowerShotG2.

Just wanted to have a guess at the photo which I think could be the old fashioned knife steel that you use to sharpen knives. (by the way I also love doing macro shots so once I get the hang of my camera watch out :-))

This is a great forum and have learnt some tips already thanks
uksweetheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2004, 11:16 AM   #3

Hi Linda, welcome to the forums. Cute cat. Has anyone noticed that lots more UK users are joining?

I can tell you it's not a steel. I can see why you would that that.
Old Jul 18, 2004, 12:46 PM   #4

It's an old type of cable release for a camera. They are still used quite a bit on cameras that don't have electric remotes.
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2004, 1:14 PM   #5

ferny wrote:
Quote:
Hi Linda, welcome to the forums. Cute cat. Has anyone noticed that lots more UK users are joining?

I can tell you it's not a steel. I can see why you would that that.

Hi ferny, thanks for the welcome, I live on a farm and have 3 indoor cats and 5 farm cats this is one of the farm cats called Little Grey he's a realcutie.. I will put my thinking cap back on and have another guess..:?
uksweetheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2004, 8:53 PM   #6

I'm going to give the reverse lense setup a try. I bought a 50MM Canon lense that has a 52MM filter threads. My camera has 55MM filter threads. Will I only need a tube with a step down or is there something else required. Also what settings do you use on the reverse lense?

Any tips are appreciated!

host is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2004, 10:55 PM   #7

It looks like an old double-edged razor to me.

mactek
mactek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2004, 4:25 AM   #8

carl got it right. It's weird how some people can spot something from the smallest detail when others can't. But show them something else and the roles can be reversed.

Reversed 50mm lens. Resized from a large image.

Macro mode

Host, that will be fine. I have three 50mm lenses (soon to be four) two have 55mm threads and one has a 49mm. All are f=1.7. My camera doesn't have a thread on it, so I got my dad to knock my up an adaptor. It's made out of plastic (I forget which type, it's got the lowest friction value of any plastic if that helps...) which is little more than a ring which pushes onto the camera. On the outside of the adaptor is a 55mm thread. So that allows me to mount a lens with a 55mm thread on the camera. I also got him to make me a 55mm-49mm step down (up really, but everything is reversed here :lol ring to mount the 49mm threaded lens onto it. Really and truly, you want to get the ends of the two lenses as close together, so my set-up isn't ideal. But it's near enough.
Oh, the threads on lenses are 0.75
Old Jul 20, 2004, 7:03 AM   #9

Ferny,

Thanks for the reply. I found a Canon 50mm on ebay really cheap so I going to give you suggestions a try. Hopefully I can get some good results. I'll post some once I get a chance to try it out.
host is offline   Reply With Quote