Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Close-ups

Old Aug 4, 2004, 7:20 PM   #1

I bought a Canon Powershot S500 as a compromise. My wife wanted something small, and I wanted a dslr. It's a nice camera for what it is, but I'm not sure it is tack sharp. Other people post photos that seem sharper to me.
This phot was taken on a lightly overcast day, and I was carful to be as still as I could. I used the autofocus. It does not look tack sharp to me, but sharp enough for snapshots. Comments please.

Thanx,

Ron

PS: It's almost full frame with just a little color adjustment.
surfnron is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 4, 2004, 8:37 PM   #2

The main flower looks reasonably sharp, but the backgroud colors( pink backround flowers )look way off to me.. Dale
cowboy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2004, 10:38 PM   #3

It's a tad on the soft side, but not too bad. Before you write of the camera as not being tack sharp, what settings did you use? Did you use a tripod? Did you do any post processing? Can your camera change parameters to increase sharpness?
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2004, 8:22 AM   #4

ohenry,
The only things I can change are the exposure, white bal, and iso. Other than that, I have several options such as scenic, portrait, and close up.
My only processing was a slight crop, slight color adj., (the pink flowers were already "hot"), and reduce file size for the web.
I was really hoping my wife would like this camera, but she still lugs her 15 year old Canon Rebel around. I guess she is still too attached to it. I offered to get the digital Rebel, but she said she wanted something smaller that she could put in her pocket.

Thanx,

Ron
surfnron is offline   Reply With Quote