Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Close-ups

Old Aug 22, 2004, 3:33 PM   #1

This is the same game that Ferny is playing. This is a macro shot of a common object that you might find in your garage. I do not use the reverse lens setup. I have looked at the description of the reverse lens setup, and ,quite frankly, I consider it very kludgy, difficult to control, and an accident waiting to happen. I use extension tubes which are much cheaper than a lens, attach firmly to the camera and the lens. They are designed for macro work.

If nobody identifies this object in two days, I'll post another clue.

Cal Rasmussen
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 22, 2004, 3:38 PM   #2

Its A drive gear of some sort
tommy6206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2004, 3:42 PM   #3

Well, I guess you could say that but maybe we could get a little more specific. The word "gear" is not normally used in the description of this object.
Old Aug 22, 2004, 3:55 PM   #4

Chuck key.

Quote:
I consider it very kludgy, difficult to control, and an accident waiting to happen. I use extension tubes which are much cheaper than a lens, attach firmly to the camera and the lens.
I don't know about that. With a slr (and many other camera's) you'd use the filter threads to attach the lens which is a secure way. I use a home-made adaptor and did manage to drop my lens from 5' onto concrete the other day though. :lol: The aperture failed. Cue much filing and a few hours later a fully working lens. It only cost £10 to. I got another for £15 with a camera. the adaptor has been beefed up now. A bronze ring has been added to make it more secure.
The only downside with reversing a lens is that the light has to pass through more glass. So I'm going to make myself a set of bellows.
ferny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2004, 4:40 PM   #5

Filter rings are not designed to hold the weight of a lens. The threads are very shallow and would be very easy to strip. Extension tubes use the same type of heavy duty mount as the lens mount. You can buy a set of tubes for about $30.

I didn't see your guess on the picture.
Old Aug 22, 2004, 5:32 PM   #6

i'm not sure what you'd call it...but is it the "key" you use to loosen/tighten the tip of the screwgun to switch bits?

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2004, 6:17 PM   #7

Vito Beat me to it, I have always called it a "chuck" and I believe that's what it is. GJ Vito.
GoCubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2004, 7:14 PM   #8

Yes, it's a chuck key for loosening and tightening the chuck on an electric drill. Here are a couple more shots:

Cal Rasmussen
Old Aug 23, 2004, 5:06 AM   #9

Woohoo! I got one right. :lol:

Quote:
I didn't see your guess on the picture.
Right at the top of my post.

Quote:
Filter rings are not designed to hold the weight of a lens. The threads are very shallow and would be very easy to strip. Extension tubes use the same type of heavy duty mount as the lens mount. You can buy a set of tubes for about $30.
True, they're not strictly designed for the job, but they're more than man enough. The thread you get with a step up/down ring is only one turn which isn't really enough to take the weight of a lens (though they don't weigh much) but if you look at the thread on the lens there is loads. All of mine have 6mm of thread there to use. And when I make an adaptor I make sure I use all of it. I assume that when you buy a spacer ring they give you plenty of thread to. As they're designed as mini extension tubes for when you use a reverse adaptor, as well as over stuff.
You can't buy new extension tubes for my old Minoltas, the ones I plan to use for close-up work. Second hand ones are over £30 ($54). For my Dynax you're talking £80 ($145).

Here's a small picture of the adaptor I use for my digital camera. The white plastic inside is the old adaptor. The thread got a bit worn (because it was too small and because it is made out of a plastic which is very difficult to machine) so the bronze part was added. It's beefed it up a bit to so it fits onto the camera better.

Attached Images

ferny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2004, 10:48 AM   #10

ahh...the "chuck"

lol...didn't know the word for it....even though i use drills/screwguns at my "work"

(check my profile)

thanks....

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote