Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Close-ups

Old Nov 16, 2004, 10:56 AM   #1

This guy's a regular at my yard. Does anyone know what kind of spider it is?

I'm new at photography and just got my Powershot S1 IS only a month ago so please excuse the picture:-)
Attached Images

Oculus Sinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 23, 2004, 9:08 PM   #2

not sure what kind it is...but i love the angle you shot it at...

Willow
willow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2004, 11:04 PM   #3

It's from the Orb Weaver family, but the name slips my ming at the moment,

That abdomin is a dead give a way. When it comes to me. Probably when I am not trying to think of it, I will post the name. In the meantime I like the angle of the shot too. I wish there was just a touch more light on it.

Nice capture.

smac
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2004, 5:43 AM   #4

Thanks for your input on the shot, I'm a newbie and appreciate your comments. Took another picture of my friendly neighborhood spider asit changed location. This time I used flash fill so those who are into entomology can better identify the arachnid. It usually weaves his web high up so its hard to get a good angle. Once identified, does anyone know the lifespan of this guy, it's been in my garden for about 6 months now and its head, thorax and abdomen measure around 1.5 inches in length with a leg span of about 5 inches.:-)
Attached Images

Old Nov 24, 2004, 6:21 AM   #5

Oculus Sinister wrote:
Quote:
...its head, thorax and abdomen measure around 1.5 inches in length with a leg span of about 5 inches.:-)
Yikes!!!:shock:That is one seriously frightening beast.

I like the first shot. The colours and DOF and implied action are, um.... appealing.

Ah...Wheredo you live? (I've got a deep-seated childhood fear of opthalmologists... I mean spiders)

Regards,

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada
Tom Overton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2004, 9:30 AM   #6

Tom Overton wrote:
Quote:
Yikes!!!:shock:That is one seriously frightening beast.

I like the first shot. The colours and DOF and implied action are, um.... appealing.

Ah...Wheredo you live? (I've got a deep-seated childhood fear of opthalmologists... I mean spiders)

Regards,

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada
Yup, it seems to have the run of the place:lol:its web itself occupies a sizable aerial real estate. I don't remove it as it helps control the flying insect population.

I'm from the Philippines,a practicing Ophthalmologist in Balayan, Batangas to be exact.

To get over your deep seated fear, here's another of my spider pictures. I chanced upon this in the ceiling of a comfort room(not much comfort:lol:I know) in a friend's house. Again if anyone knows what kind of spider this is, please share your knowledge. This one's also a big one with a leg span of about 4 inches. I presume in this picture that he just ate the abdomen off this intruder spider.:-)

Attached Images

Old Nov 24, 2004, 1:17 PM   #7

That looks like a Huntsman. Body is about 1" They are great natural exterminators. They eat cockroaches and other insects.

They are one of the good guys,

:-)

smac
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2004, 3:28 PM   #8

Thanks smac, I did a google search for huntsman after I saw your post and the spider on my friend's ceiling indeed is a huntsman spider, a brown huntsman to be exact. Cool name:-).

As for the spider on my garden. As you said its an Orb weaver and it looks very much like a Giant Orb Weaving Spider or Giant Silk spider. Thanks again.
Old Nov 27, 2004, 6:47 PM   #9

hummm..yummy..looks like there's not a lot of meat in those legs....both those jokers look like they can deliver some serious venom....nice shots
jazzmaster221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2004, 4:35 AM   #10

The spider on the first post disappeared(probably died). I was able to find another, albeit smaller specimen. This one was moulting and was in the final process of shedding its old exoskeleton. Hope it grows as large as the first one.:-)
Attached Images