Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Close-ups

Old Jan 23, 2005, 11:00 AM   #1
kex

I've been to the palm garden in Frankfurt today to test my cam a little more.

Man, I was scared about my lense and everything when I saw it got fogged up in the tropical house.

But everything went well and I got some decent shots.

All shots were taken with Nikon D70 and Sigma 70-300 APO Macro Super II.

kex is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 2, 2005, 11:13 PM   #2

Nice collection mate. I'm alway impressed with the clarity and smoothness of the DSLR's. Can't wait until I can afford one. Were the ISO settings on these all the same, or were they various? Cheers......thekman.
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2005, 3:56 AM   #3

Oh boy, I really love the duck. The details looks so clean.
...ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2005, 10:49 AM   #4
kex

Thanks for the nice comments!

I know what you mean,thekman! I especially love the clearness too, and the cool DOF you get with a SLR plus some other things of course.

Sorry for not posting the exif data in the 1st post. but here is it:

#1:
Shutter speed: 1/125
Aperature: f5.6
ISO: 400
focal length: 300mm
--------------------
#2:
shutter speed: 1/60 (flash)
Aperature: f5.3
ISO: 200
focal length: 220mm
--------------------
#3:
shutter speed: 1/30
focal length: 80mm
--------------------
#4:
Aperature: f5.0
focal lenght: 195mm
--------------------
#5:
shutter speed: 1/100
ISO: 1600
focal lenght: 300mm
--------------------
#6:
ISO: 1600
focal length: 300mm
--------------------
#7:
same as #6
--------------------
#8:
shutter speed: 1/30
ISO: 720
focal length: 195mm
--------------------
shutter speed: 1/160
--------------------
#10:
shutter speed: 1/320
--------------------
#11:
shutter speed: 1/80
ISO: 640
focal lenght: 300mm

I ran the ISO 1600 images through neatimage before posting. but I can post the originals as well if you like.

Hope I could help.

Old Feb 3, 2005, 11:21 AM   #5

They're all great kex!
suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2005, 12:14 PM   #6

This is a dumb question, but I'm just the one to ask it!

How far would you guess you were from the birds and the duck when you took the shot? I want to start doingsome wildlife shots but I need to get a longer zoom probably but I'm not sure how long.

I'm assumming you didn't use a teleconverter. If that's wrong, correct me please.

Thanks!

Nice shots, btw.
Wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2005, 12:48 PM   #7
kex

hm. I can't really remember how far they were away from me.

but maybe this photo can help you to give you an idea of how close you can get with 300mm.

This shot was taken from about 3m.
But remember that it is not cropped, so the bird is actually filling the 3008x2008 pixel.

And also remember that the focal lenght has to be multiplied with the multiplier of the dSLR. for my nikon it is 1.5

So the 300mm are actually 450mm.
If you really want to do fancy stuff like shooting birds filling the whole frame from about 200m, you'll need something much bigger. But I can tell you by my small experience yet, that 300mm is very very much, when you're used to the zoom range of small p&s cameras.

Hope I could help.
If there are any other questions, feel free to ask.

Old Feb 3, 2005, 1:18 PM   #8

Another nice shot!

Thanks for the reply. I have the D70 with the kit lense, and the Sigma 70-200 hsm ex lense, but I've been told by some people that I'd probably really need more lense to get the shots that I want. I also consideredgetting a teleconverter, but I'm not even sure that's enough and others have saidthe same.

I really believe that I need more lense to get some of the shots I want. Maybe a 300 AND a teleconverter, but I'm not sure. No one ever gives you an idea how close they are to the subjects, so I just wanted to get an idea from you. Three meters is pretty darn close. Birds around here don't play that to well (lol). I get the impression that people over on the wildlife forum frequently take shots at significantly greater distances than that, but I may be wrong.

Anyway, thanks again. I've still got a lot to learn but it's more than worth it when you get a good shot!
Old Feb 3, 2005, 1:35 PM   #9
kex

hehe. the fact that you got the sigma 70-200/f2.8 HSM makes me jealous.

If I were you, I'd get a 1.4 teleconverter (not a 2x) and have a lot of fun with that lens. I read great things about that lens and I'm hoping to get it some day.
But I wanted to have a longer reach and spend little money for a -in my opinion- reasonable lens.
not great, but it is definitly good for its price.

I also thought about how wildlife photographers take such great shots and I think it is not just the big lens and a good camera. It's always a thing of patience and knowing your equipement. You have to be aware of the advantages and disadvantages of your equipement and you have to know how to handle with failures and how to compensate technical lag.

Back to topic:
If you'd like to know what the real wildlife photographers use to get close to tigers, lions or whatever; I guess they use prime lenses at about 600mm or 800mm.
But they coast a lot of money of course.

I'd suggest getting a TC first and trying your best with your 70-200. It's a real good lense and a far better premise than mine.
But you just need to practise and practise! I'm doing the same and I always find ways to improve my pictures.
So keep on shooting.

Old Feb 3, 2005, 2:06 PM   #10

Thanks for the reply, Kex.

I certainly agree with what your saying. It's not the equipment for the most part, it's the photographer, and a lot of times what seems like an equipment problem can be addressed in other manners.

Having said that, I still think some bigger glass would be helpful :-) I've heard good things about the lense your using, and think it might be a great deal for me. It's pretty inexpensive and I could play around with the macro side of it as well, as I'm also interested in doing some of that. The local shop carries a tamaron (sp?) which the guy says is really good for the money, but it doesn't have the macro function and I haven't heard much in the way of positive things from people like I have about your lense and some of the others.

I definitely won't be spending the jack for one of those super zoom deals, at least not any time soon. I still need a flash, want the sigma 105 macro, and I'm using a tripod I borrowed because there's no way I'd trust the one I ownwith my D70 and either lense hanging off it (which is about what it would do anyway...."hang").

I love my Sigma 70-200. I've had some really nice results and it's a very good fit when coupled with the kit lense. I won't be buying too many lenses at that price, but it's got a good range and really gives me a great option for a variety of shots.

Anyway, thanks again for the response.