Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Close-ups

Old Dec 6, 2002, 11:54 PM   #1

Default Just a Leaf - but SD9 (X3) Sigma/Foveon detail is astounding

So far I'm pretty impressed with the detail possible with the Sigma SD9. This one was taken with the 28-70 F/2.8 macro Sigma lens at F16 and 1/125 - ISO 100. Click on link below image to see full size (about 2 meg jpg).

Cleaned a few spots and used Neat Image to kill a little noise - looked a bit like photo grain.

Lin

Click on link below to see 2 meg full sized image.....

http://www.lin-evans.org/sigma/IMG00038.jpg

Last edited by Lin Evans; Feb 1, 2015 at 4:10 PM.
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 7, 2002, 2:27 AM   #2

Very nice job Lin. But the leaf seems a bit grainy yet. maybe you added too much unsharpen mask ? (the 2mb version).

But indeed it's a fine job!
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2002, 9:49 AM   #3

Hi Klaus,
LOL - that's what this camera is all about! It's what I don't see with my EOS-1D or D30 or DCS-760 - the detail the SD9 captures is like looking at the leaf through a magnifying glass. This leaf is only about 1.3 inches long!

Best regards,

Lin
Old Dec 7, 2002, 3:35 PM   #4

okay, looking forward to see some more posts from your digicam. A bit exiciting
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2002, 1:19 AM   #5

Default Congrats

The color and detail are awsome Lin! Very impressive. The reduced size image looks nice, but I see compression artifacts etc... Then I followed the link to the full size image... It is a real jaw dropper. The only fault I could really find is the strange little circle on the branch in the upper left of the image. What is that?

How is the workflow? I understand that you don't have the option of shooting directly to .jpeg. Is this correct? Is the process like working with raw files in other DSLRs?

Thanks for the picture and I'd love to see more!

-roger
Roger M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2003, 12:20 AM   #6

hows that camera?...looks like ya enjoying it...what are the largest prints you done with acceptable results?...its 3.3 mp right?
mrdinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2003, 3:52 AM   #7

Hi Guys,

Sorry it took a while to get back - the workflow is very similar to any other dSLR when shooting RAW. Sigma's own software is required to convert, but the conversion process is painless and very quick compared to my EOS-1D or D30.

I sold my SD9 to a friend who is enjoying it tremendously. It was a wonderful instrument, but I purchased it only to test the technology, and didn't really need it professionally.

The resolution (in electronic terms) is a bit difficult to compare with the normal Bayer type sensor as found in most digital cameras. Ordinary digicams have only one layer of photosites and interpolate color where the SD9's sensor contains three layers of photosites. The actual array is 3 megapixels, but instead of being one deep, it's three deep allowing the sensor to detect color without interpolating. Because of the unique design, the sharpness is incredible and the ability to resolve detail is much greater than a normal Bayer interpolated sensor of like array size. Because of this, it's possible to successfully enlarge images well beyond expectations and still hold the detail. I would say that it would approximate my six megapixel Bayer cameras in terms of sharpness and detail, but since the actual physical array is like a three megapixel, more aliasing is evident in certain situations.

The strong detail capture though is very amenable to interpolation, so conventional methods (Genuine Fractals, step bicubic, etc.) of enlarging allow huge prints to be made successfully. It's very realistic to get quality 16x20's from an SD9 file, and even larger depending on subject's distance and detail nature. Truly a revolution in this sense which has to be seen to be appreciated.

Best regards,

Lin
Old Feb 24, 2003, 12:21 PM   #8

Very vibrant I'd say. Did you increase saturation at all.
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2003, 1:46 PM   #9

Hi Steve,
The SD9 shoots in RAW mode only, so when conversion is done things like contrast, brightness, sharpness, saturation, etc., are done at the time of conversion by setting sliders. This is pretty much how it came from the camera, and is pretty close to what it actually looked like when I shot it.

The leaf was about 3/4 of an inch across and about 1.5 inches in length including the stem. It was taken early in the morning with the sun coming up and still fairly low on the horizon. The skys here are often a really deep blue in the fall and winter at this altitude so what might seem a bit on the intense side is pretty normal.

The SD9 shoots pretty neutral as far as saturation and contrast are concerned, but the use has the option of doing much of what is usually done in PhotoShop at time of conversion.

Best regards,

Lin
Old Feb 25, 2003, 11:47 AM   #10

Quote:
I sold my SD9 to a friend who is enjoying it tremendously. It was a wonderful instrument, but I purchased it only to test the technology, and didn't really need it professionally.
It's alright for some eh.

I can just imagine the scene. Hi darling I'm just popping out to buy a very expensive SD9, have a go and then flog it :lol:
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote