Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Close-ups

Old May 18, 2005, 8:27 PM   #1

here's my take on the subject. shot with Panasonic LC33 and post processed in Picasa 2...

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 20, 2005, 5:35 AM   #2

The background is perfect, however, on my monitor, the flowers are also a little dark - unless they are black also.

Ron:G:?::?

Well, they are visable now - very nice.
surfnron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2005, 3:23 PM   #3

I think you have presented them well. They look good on my monitor too.

The only fault, and it's a little one, I can see a few marks, particularly around the first flower. Looks like you haven't quite painted all of the background black. At first I was wiping my screen to get rid of smudges, until I realized they were moving with the pics when I scrolled, then I was making smudges :?.

Very nice.

Stevekin.

Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2005, 12:17 AM   #4

Stevekin wrote:
Quote:
I think you have presented them well. They look good on my monitor too.

The only fault, and it's a little one, I can see a few marks, particularly around the first flower. Looks like you haven't quite painted all of the background black. At first I was wiping my screen to get rid of smudges, until I realized they were moving with the pics when I scrolled, then I was making smudges :?.

Very nice.

Stevekin.

i can't see any marks or smudges on my monitor... and there aren't any on the prints, either. where are you seeing them?

Old May 21, 2005, 12:40 AM   #5

I did say it was a little fault and it doesn't detract from the excellent shots. I only noticed because I thought I had smudges on my screen.

They are very faint, but they are there.

I have gone over them with the Dodge Tool, set to highlights so it doesn't lighten anything black (or very dark), to show you where I mean. If it was all black, doing this wouldn't show anything.

I'm sounding a bit picky now aren't I ? Sorry :sad:

Old May 21, 2005, 11:46 AM   #6

no apology needed... i'm not the least upset. but this is bizarre... none of those appear on my monitor, and the 5x7 prints i made show no sign of any little spots like that! the background in my prints is perfectly pitch black! i printed all of these, and they're in a 3-way frame on my wall... no sign of background spots on any of them. i wonder if it's something in your photoviewer or monitor?

mind you, i didn't 'paint' the background black... i don't have Photoshop yet, this was all done in Picasa 2 and Irfanview. the dark effect was achieved through several iterations of shadow fill and readjusting to maintain the color and brightness of the flower itself, then cloning out the light spots that stubbornly remained. the background imagery is still there, just very suppressed. perhaps your viewer/monitor is more sensitive, or you gamma correction settings are different from mine...
Old May 21, 2005, 2:55 PM   #7

I do stress that what you can see in my edited version is exagerated somewhat, using the Dodge tool just to show you where they are.

At this moment I am looking at the same photo, the one you posted, on an older monitor, and I can see the marks more clearly. In fact I can now see more of them.No it is definitely not the monitor as the marks move up and down just the same as the image when I scroll. Although noticeable, to me anyway, they are faint, probably too faint to see in print. I'm not sure if it's to do with this old monitor or that I am now viewing under tungsten light, (earlier in daylight).

I am not trying to wind you up, I'm not losing my sight (maybe my mind), or developing cataracts.

I would like someone else to have a close look, hopefully with PS and do what I did to highlight the marks. In fact if anyone with PS runs the dodge tool, set to highlights over the image, even if they can't see the marks initially, they will see them after.

It would be nice to clear this up, at least so you won't think i'm a little odd :?. (and for that matter, so I don't think i'm odd :-))
Old May 21, 2005, 11:01 PM   #8

no worries... i'm not getting wound up. just curious as to how they could be invisible on my monitor (using my photo-viewers which are Irfanview and Picasa 2), and on the prints, and still be obvious to someone else viewing them online. curiouser and curiouser...

but, to be honest, my main concern is the prints, and they came out fine. if the spots show up only in certain cases on a monitor, i'm not terribly worried about it. if i really crank up the gamma correction on my monitor, i can see the spots, but by then the flowers are so washed out as to be not worth looking at...anyway, if someone else with Photoshop can see the same thing, then it's probably the result of the wayi went about creating the effect. as i said, the background imagery is there, just darkened to the point that it doesn't show up - at least not most of the time! :roll:
Old May 22, 2005, 3:09 PM   #9

You're right. If it doesn't show in your prints, (which is the most important), and you can't actually see them,no worries.In any case, it seems it might just be me :roll:.

Anyway, I still like the flowers and the background and,if I squint, I can't see the marks .

Best....

Stevekin.