Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Close-ups

Old May 30, 2005, 2:12 PM   #1

I came across some recommended settings for my A2 on the web and gave them a try on this wasp. Haven't really done much at all with close up, just wondered if you thought these are ok, or what else I could try ?

The Exif is still there. Any advice welcome.

Thanks,

Stevekin.

Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 30, 2005, 3:28 PM   #2

Theres alot of noise for some reason .Im new to macros myself , but i know some .How was your lighting conditions ? Also what camera settings did you use ?

I dont have an exif extractor . I have Photo Impact 7.0 , Photo Shop 3.0 , Paint shop Pro 7.0 do those save the exif as text ? I told ya i was new :G.Also ive seen alot of your work in Extreme makeover .I have a few pics id like you to work on to see if you can fix them
pappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2005, 4:18 PM   #3

Hi Pappy.

If you save any image to your hard drive and if you are using Windows XP, you can right click on the image and choose properties, then click on summary and finally click on advanced. So long as the image still has the Exif data embedded, you should see the details.

Sometimes the owner of the image might take the Exif out, or some software will do it as well.

Lighting was halogen spots (low wattage), not a lighting set up.....just happened to be where the wasp was ! Settings : Manual, 1/500s, f11, ISO200, Flash-fired, @ 200mm in Macro mode. Manual focus.

Something has just dawned on me. My exif is actually telling me I was at 76.2mm (300mm) as I had been using a teleconverter earlier in the day and forgot to reset the lens acc. to none. Which I think, if I am correct, means that even with the macro switch engaged, I wasn't actually in macro mode, as the setting for a converter lens knocks off the macro mode so as to let you use the switch to stop the lens barrel sliding home with a converter on. :roll::roll: ( I know what I mean anyway...I think)

Anyway, if this helps you to give me some advice, then great. If not, i'll have another go when I see a docile wasp wandering around and make sure I have all the settings correct :-)

I'd be happyto have alookat your pics pappy. If you post them on Extreme Makeover, I and others can see what can be done.
Old May 30, 2005, 4:55 PM   #4

Im a true beginner so this is not written in stone . 76.2mm (300mm) will definately cause probs that close .Ive done the same thing in reverse shooting a distance wide shot in macro mode:G .Same noisey result but the focus was there . Yours is in focusalso. I would change your distance setting and leave the rest alone to see how it comes out .(Or) not real keen on shutter speedsbut try 1/100 ,F8 at ISO 100
pappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2005, 3:26 PM   #5

Sorry I'm late responding Pappy. Thanks for the suggestion, will try it out.

Regards,

Stevekin.
Old Jun 7, 2005, 8:41 AM   #6

Scary looking guy. If we see these in Australia we have to report them to the APB fast. They are classed as unwanted vermin here.
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2005, 10:54 AM   #7

In reality he is only as long as half the length of one of his antenna, usually less than one inch.

Although adult wasps are vegetarian, they do capture caterpillars and other small insects, take them back to the nest, chew them up, then regurgitate the pulp to feed the developing wasp grubs. It is for this reason they are not really considered a pest here, as they helpwith the natural control of other garden pests.

If you see a wasp in the winter, maybe attached to your curtain,it's likely to be a queen. They can hang by their jaws while hibernating, not dead, until spring and then they start all over again.

I presume APB is your local pest control. Here, if we wanted rid of a wasp nest we would have to pay for it. They only get rid of rats for free !!