Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Close-ups

Old Jun 5, 2005, 9:22 PM   #1

caught this fella napping on my patio table this afternoon...
FZ20, aperture mode, f8 @ 1/200, ISO 100, 12x zoom with Nikon 6T.

took a few pics, and then he got shy...

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 6, 2005, 3:27 PM   #2

Great shots squirl. The 2nd one especially. Never thought a bee could be cute. Cheers.....thekman.
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2005, 3:39 PM   #3

Wow, that's impressive .

Two great shots there Squirl033, but the first one is fantastic :!::!::!: Incredible detail and the IS working well on your FZ20.

After seeing this pic I have asked in the lenses forum if the Nikon 6T would be suitable for my Dimage A2. Would you know if this was so, or of any other lens that may do the job ?

You have inspired me to takemore of aninterest in close up with these shots.

Thanks...................more expense !! :roll::G.

Stevekin.
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2005, 11:23 PM   #4

Stevekin wrote:
Quote:
Wow, that's impressive .

Two great shots there Squirl033, but the first one is fantastic :!::!::!: Incredible detail and the IS working well on your FZ20.

After seeing this pic I have asked in the lenses forum if the Nikon 6T would be suitable for my Dimage A2. Would you know if this was so, or of any other lens that may do the job ?

You have inspired me to takemore of aninterest in close up with these shots.

Thanks...................more expense !! :roll::G.

Stevekin.
to be honest, i fudged just a little, and shot these from a monopod... but the lens did the rest. the FZ20 has top-notch glass to begin with.. that Leica 12x zoom does some pretty amazing things. coupled with the Nikon 6T that lets me focus from 12" away using full telephoto, it can produce some truly impressive results. my shots above are a pale imitation of some of the macro work i've seen from that camera and lens set up, but even at that, all i did to these was crop a little, resize, and a touch of sharpening and contrast.

as for your Dimage A2, i don't know if the Nikon lenses will fit. you'd need an adapter of some sort, and i don't know what's made for the A2, or in what sizes. i have an aftermarket adapter made by Phayee on my FZ20, that has threads on the front so ican screw on standard 62mm filters just like you would with an SLR, like a UV filter that's always on the camera,a polarizeror the Nikon close-up lens. you'd probably need to attach something similar for the macro lens to screw onto, unless the A2 has a threaded front on the lens barrel like SLR lenses...

i know this series of Nikon lenses comes in two sizes, 52mm and 62mm, and in two strengths, 1.5 and 2.9 diopter. mine's the 2.9 diopter.i know there are certainly more powerful close-up lenses out there, but the Nikon 6t was only about $50 from B&H Photo, and frankly, it offers what i consider the best balance between magnification, clarity, and depth of field. the Phayee adapter for my FZ20 cost me about $22.50 plus shipping, so i'd imagine that if they make one for your A2, the price would be similar. you could also try Pemaraal or Raynox, as they both make lens adapters for zoom digicams...

sorry if i've hooked you onsomething that will cost you more money, Stevekin, but hey... this is too much fun NOT to try it!:-) besides, it isn't really all that expensive, and a good close up lens will also let you get better shots of even more mundane subjects like flowers, because you don't have to get the lens down right on top of the subject, and the light is better that way. plus, you actually get more macro effect, because you can use the full power of your zoom lens, something that's usually verboten with the camera's internal macro mode alone. it's a whole new world of photography, and you can find some killer subjects right in your own backyard! :G

Old Jun 7, 2005, 3:15 AM   #5

Hey Squirl, thanks for taking the time to give an interesting answer 8).

Seeing your shots, I thought, must get me one of those. I agree, even the most mundane subject can have a whole new look in close up.

My A2 has a front thread of 49mm, so yes I would need an adapter/step up ring. It works fine with a TCON-17 Teleconverter, (49mm-55mm step up), so should be able to find something that works.

Just had a look around for the 6T, and as usual we seem to have to pay a premium over here. For your $50.00 lens I have to pay £60.00 from Amazon.co.uk. That's equal to $109.71 at todays exchange rate !!! Just be glad your over there and not over here :-).

I did try some settings I saw recommended somewhere, when I have more time, (that is when I remember to try :-)), I'll have another go. Would you mind letting me know what you think of my first proper effort here, http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...amp;forum_id=7

I appreciate your help and advice.

Regards,

Stevekin.

Old Jun 7, 2005, 10:54 AM   #6

Stevekin,

if you have a 49mm front thread already, all you'll need will be a 49-52mm step-up ring and the Nikon lens itself. have you looked into ordering direct from B&H, or would that entail paying duty on the lens which would cost as much as buying it there? seems odd to impose that much duty on so small a purchase...

as to your photos, the macro is good, but the focus just seems a bit off and the images seem a little rough... like they were oversharpened, or had excessive noise reduction applied. i read your post about the lens settings being "wrong" (set at 300mm), which could probably account for some of the problem. also, the lighting is too yellow - the shots would look better under natural light instead of halogen, which gives it a yellowish cast. if that's the only light source you have, you'll probably need to reset your WB for halogen lighting to compensate.

i really think if you can get the Nikon lens, you'll find the results very satisfactory. if you want the 52mm size, order the Nikon 4T, not the 6T. it's the same diopter (2.9), but with 52mm threads. the 3T is the 52mm version of the 5T, which is 1.5 diopter. the smaller lenses arecheaper, too... the 4T is $36.95 US at B&H, so even with the UK duty, or buying it there, you might be able to get it for a more reasonable price...
Old Jun 7, 2005, 11:17 AM   #7

Thanks for the info and advice Squirl.

Yes, perhaps a touch too much noise reduction and regarding the 'wrong' settings : I had got the camera set to Teleconverter mode which means I can set the macro switch purely to stop the lens barrel sliding home with the weight of the TCON attached and not actually putting it into macro mode. So I was trying the 'recommended' settings for a macro shot while the camera thought it was looking off into the distance :?

The lighting just happened to be as it was where the wasp was wandering. I don't expect to be taking any more in the same conditions.

What is the difference between the Nikon 4T and 6T ? Is it simply the thread size, meaning they have lenses suitable/available for many cameras, but they actually perform the same ?

Just had a look at B&H. $26.25 to ship to England (10-14 days). So that would be $63.20 total to ship a 4T. That is£34.50 English ,including shipping, which I could happily live with.I don't know about any other import taxes or duties though. I think I will email them to see what they think.

Thanks again, I'm going to look into this for sure
Old Jun 7, 2005, 2:34 PM   #8

the only difference between the 4T and the 6T is size. the 4T with a 49-52mm step-up ring would fit your camera.

you might also check on ebay, though i'd be careful unless the lens was new and from a well-recommended seller...
Old Jun 7, 2005, 3:44 PM   #9

Squirl, Thanks again.

I am awaiting a reply from B&H and will look into import duties etc.

Will give you a shout if/when I get one and have taken some close ups, if you don't mind.

Regards,

Stevekin.
Old Jun 8, 2005, 3:54 AM   #10

Squirl, an update.

I have since found the 4T is available at Amazon.co.uk for £35.66 including delivery and no nasty hidden taxes or import duties. So for £1.16 more rather than waiting for a delivery from America,I wouldprefer tobuy it here. In fact my local camera store is going to order one in for me and match the price 8). Should be here in3/4 working days. A lot less hassle if there are any problems.

Thanks again for all the pointers.

Steve.