Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Close-ups

Old Jun 6, 2005, 5:09 PM   #1

I'm not sure why the end of the left wing is out of focus and other areas on the same plane are sharp. Any advice? Thanks.

Attached Images

105sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 6, 2005, 5:13 PM   #2

What do you think about this one? :?
Attached Images

Old Jun 7, 2005, 6:44 AM   #3

Very pretty butterflies! Very nice. The sharpness issue is most likely to be the depth of view. Usually, for typical digital cameras, the smaller the iris, the bigger the depth of view...ie more things in focus. Eg, set higher aperture values... like f/8. You'll notice that if you set lower values, like f/2.8 .... the focus can be quite sensitive to subject distance from the camera.
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2005, 7:25 AM   #4

Kenny_Leong wrote:
Quote:
Very pretty butterflies! Very nice. The sharpness issue is most likely to be the depth of view. Usually, for typical digital cameras, the smaller the iris, the bigger the depth of view...ie more things in focus. Eg, set higher aperture values... like f/8. You'll notice that if you set lower values, like f/2.8 .... the focus can be quite sensitive to subject distance from the camera.

Thanks for the feedback Kenny. You are right, I just over did it because I was trying to obtain a good dof. It just kills me because I like the first one a lot and the out of focus wing drives me nuts! Thanks again!
Old Jun 9, 2005, 11:36 AM   #5

To be honest, i prefer the second pic.

Bettervariety of colours on the butterfly, and the plantis more interesting. The whole picture just falls into place beautifully. (Only a amateurs opinion though)
londonting2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2005, 4:13 PM   #6

DOF is tough on moving targets, if you are using a slr type camera it probably has a dof preview button on it, use it if you can, that is why it is there. You are looking to have the subject sharp and everything else mostly not sharp. If you are using a zoom lens, try different focus points on your shot, like bracketing but with focus. This will place the subject in different places for dof purposes.

The second was very nice, good colors, good lighting.

randy o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2005, 4:56 PM   #7

Agreed on the second pic, much more interest, but can see why yourupset with the first.

105sunset wrote:
Quote:
It just kills me because I like the first one a lot and the out of focus wing drives me nuts! Thanks again!
Sooo, in the interests of keeping your sanity...............hope you don't mind and that it looks like you thought it should.

Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2005, 5:24 PM   #8

second shot is very nice, but it looks to me like the image is distorted... like it's compressed horizontally, but not vertically.

the DOF issue could be a result of lens settings (wider aperture to compensate for poor light), or, if you were using a close-up lens, the type of lens could cause that. some inexpensive single-element lenses tend to lose focus at the edges. if you use a single element close-up or macro lens, try to keep the subject in the middle, and leave some room around the edges in case the image isn't as sharp there.

as has been mentioned, aperture is everything in the world of macro. smaller apertures are the only way to ensure reasonable DOF and focus in macro work. if you need to, it's well worthwhile to use a tripod for macro work if at all possible, to let you use those smaller apertures to get clear, sharp photos...
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2005, 8:20 AM   #9

Stevekin wrote:
Quote:
Agreed on the second pic, much more interest, but can see why yourupset with the first.

105sunset wrote:
Quote:
It just kills me because I like the first one a lot and the out of focus wing drives me nuts! Thanks again!
Sooo, in the interests of keeping your sanity...............hope you don't mind and that it looks like you thought it should.

Thanks Stevekin, that looks great! My PS skills would not allow me to perfom teh same magic.
Old Jun 10, 2005, 8:22 AM   #10

squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
second shot is very nice, but it looks to me like the image is distorted... like it's compressed horizontally, but not vertically.

the DOF issue could be a result of lens settings (wider aperture to compensate for poor light), or, if you were using a close-up lens, the type of lens could cause that. some inexpensive single-element lenses tend to lose focus at the edges. if you use a single element close-up or macro lens, try to keep the subject in the middle, and leave some room around the edges in case the image isn't as sharp there.

as has been mentioned, aperture is everything in the world of macro. smaller apertures are the only way to ensure reasonable DOF and focus in macro work. if you need to, it's well worthwhile to use a tripod for macro work if at all possible, to let you use those smaller apertures to get clear, sharp photos...
Thank you for the tips squirl. I am only now really trying to understand this wonderful world of photography. I will keep shooting & posting!