Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Close-ups

Old Jun 22, 2005, 2:38 PM   #1

...............Thought that might get your attention :-).

This little fella just would not sit still, flitting around like a blue ars*d, well, fly.

Then I cottoned on, he kept coming back to the same leaf. Gotcha !! Trouble was, he kept showing his 'best' side :-).

Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 22, 2005, 11:21 PM   #2

Looks good Stevekin!! Very nice detail...

I take it your getting used to your new lens.:G
Meiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2005, 11:21 PM   #3

OOps Double clicked:roll::roll::roll::roll:
Meiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2005, 3:25 AM   #4

Thanks Meiko.

Yes, I'm getting used to the lens, really pleased with it.Just got to get used to finding interesting critters now :-).
Old Jun 23, 2005, 9:37 AM   #5

Are you sure that's not Vincent Price?????:blah:
mommy_culleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2005, 10:09 AM   #6

Sorry Rose, not all of us can remember the original 'Fly'
Old Jun 24, 2005, 10:08 PM   #7

Hey Stevekin. Great shot. I've attempted several fly attempts and I find them very difficult to photograph.

What sort of camera are you using?

Steve

LINEBACKER 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2005, 11:57 PM   #8

Glad you like it Steve. I've seen your close ups and take that as a compliment 8).

Dimage A2 with a Nikon4T close up lens. The hotspot on his back from the flash as it was 7.23 pm, he was in some bushes, with the setting sun the other side of those bushes.

As I said, he kept buzzing around, but always sat back on the same leaf, so I managed to get a couple straight off but also focussed on the leaf and waited for him to settle. Even though I kept moving around to get a better angle he would still keep coming back. Just couldn't get in front of him though :roll:.

Steve.
Old Jul 19, 2005, 12:30 AM   #9

HI

yOU ARE just using the Nikon 4T with the original lens of your camera right? No extension tubes, no reverse rings etc?

I have a Mavica CD-500 and I'm looking for the best options in macro lenses. I recently bought some cheap lenses on ebay and I'm waiting to try them very soon (with the adapter Vad-S70 that will be in my hands this week)but I think that I will suffer from chromatic aberrations from what I see with my plain eyes when i LOOK thru them.

What are you doing to take such beautiful pictures?. They look very sharp and neat .:|

microfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2005, 3:34 AM   #10

Hello microfreak.

My set up for this was simply a Nikon 4T, which has a 52mm thread, attached to my Dimage A2, which has a 49mm thread, with a 49-52mm step up ring, just so it fits, nothing else.

No tubes, no reversing of anything. For cameras with a larger front thread the Nikon 6T has a 62mm thread. Same diopter of 2.9, just slightly larger diameter.

Camera settings : 1/100sec, F8, Manual exposure, ISO 200, lens at 200mm in Macro mode, flash fired.

As I said earlier, the fly kept landing on the same leaf, so I just focussed on that and when he sat down.......click. Got him.

I bought the 4T on the advice of, and after seeing some shots by Squirl here, http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...amp;forum_id=7

I am really pleased with it !!

I don't know your camera, but I think it has a 45mm thread ?? I also don't know if you have to have the Sony adapter fitted first or if you can just screw a step up ring to it.

If it is the latter, then you would just need to buy a 45-52mm step up ring to attach the Nikon 4T to it.

If you have to use the adapter to attach accessories, then you willnot need a step up ring to use the Nikon 4T.

You should find out if you actually need the Sony adapter to enable attachments or not.

To help with your other question on teleconverters. You should be aware that you need to buy a close up lens for close up photos and this will only enable you to take close up shots,it doesn't give additional zoom.

For that you would need to buy a teleconverter which will multiply the maximum focal length of your camera. I use a TCON-17, with a factor of 1.7x,from Olympus with a 49mm-55mm step up ring for my A2. So, my 200mm lens on my camera becomes a 340mm lens and should only be used at the longest focal setting, they are not for zooming, just to extend the maximum by whatever factor the converter is. Raynox have a 2.2 teleconverter for example but you will have to find out which would be suitable.

Your camera could also use a wide angle converter to enable you to fit more in the frame without stepping back too far and falling over the wall . Again this will be a seperate 'lens', only used for wide angle shots.

Who was it that said with anon DSLR you don't have to worry about extra lenses :roll:.

Hope this helps a little.

Stevekin.