Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Close-ups

Old Sep 22, 2005, 8:47 AM   #1

I resently bought my gf a Nikkor 60mm 2.8 Micro for her D70s.I'm wondering if anyone can help point her in the right direction. Both of these shots were in poor light at 7:15 AM.

#1. f3.3, 1/60 sec. no flash cropped only
Attached Images

Barracuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 22, 2005, 8:48 AM   #2

and #2. f8 1/125 SB 600 flash lightened and contrast, highlights darkened, cropped. I think she should wait for better light.
Attached Images

Old Sep 23, 2005, 1:04 PM   #3

Not sure what you are looking for. The first shot has DOF problems because of the large aperture. It is the more interesting shot with the ladybug.

This is the first shot with just Shadow/Highlight, a touch of levels and defogging in Photoshop CS. I would darken the background some if I were going to print it.

This is the flash shot with the same treatment. Again I would darken the background and crop out the stuff on the right for printing. I could probably do better with the original – contrast is a control that shouldn't normally be used. Photoshop help says contrast isn't for advanced image editing. It just moves the white and black points toward or away from each other the same distance. You seldom want to do that. Levels is a better control for adjusting contrast:

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2005, 1:24 PM   #4

Muchos Gracias, I see.
Old Sep 26, 2005, 1:42 AM   #5

Hello,

I don't think you need more light, get a good f-stop (8 is already nice I think) and try to be close to the spider to get the things you want to sharp (find a good DOF).

With a tripod or a monopod or even a tree or something to lean on you can aim for at least 1/10s for exposure, I did sharp shots (by luck, I admit) down to 1/2s with only one arm supported, so you can do that too - I bet.

Ofc that means the spider should sit and don't move... You'll get lovely pics with plenty of light. Maybe you can raise ISO a bit too - take your time to experiment.

Hope that helps, Th.

P.S. @Slipe: I don't understand what you said about that contrast and level thing. Am working with PaintShop Pro 7 (I know - thats not a pro program but then I am not a pro in photography too...). What is this level = contrast thingie? Am clueless. What levels?
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2005, 8:22 AM   #6

Thanks thkn777, don't know why I didn't think of that. Right from Basics 101.:roll:
Old Sep 26, 2005, 10:52 AM   #7

Barracuba wrote:
Quote:
Thanks thkn777, don't know why I didn't think of that. Right from Basics 101.:roll:
Errmm... I hope I didn't get too much on your nerves with that, sorry :shock:I just saw the 1/125s and thought you could do much better than that - no offense meant, sorry
Old Sep 26, 2005, 11:54 AM   #8

No really, I should have thought of that. Non taken whatsoever.
Old Sep 27, 2005, 2:01 AM   #9

Barracuba wrote:
Quote:
No really, I should have thought of that. Non taken whatsoever.
Oh it wasn't ironic then? Ahem - glad I could help! Sorry that I got it wrong.

Another idea. If you know you will come upon shadowy areas and macro objects - why not carry a pocket lamp with you? Not that heavy and you can produce a nice spotlight. If the sun is shining and you want to lit a dark object .. maybe your GF has a mirror in her purse? Catch a sunray and direct it onto that spider - you should have plenty of light Uncommon approach I know - but who cares if the pic is great?

Good luck!
Old Sep 27, 2005, 7:34 AM   #10

We thought of the flashlight already, but a mirror and sunlight, good tip. She tried slower shutter speeds last night, but it was too windy, so of course we pull out the flash.:| Practice makes better. You know, the not so little guy sees her now and runs the other way, lol!
Attached Images