Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Close-ups

Old Jul 20, 2006, 4:25 PM   #1

I don't know if this is a Spanish Hornet, But I was in Spain when I took The photo:-)
Attached Images

lello is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 20, 2006, 6:35 PM   #2

we have them here in the States, too... in this part of the country, at least, we call them Yellowjackets...
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2006, 7:54 AM   #3

It is an excellent shot - look for an id here http://bugguide.net/node/view/24266

But, one thing I can't understand - how close were you when you shot it, what lens were you using, tubes/bellows?

Why can't I get shots like these with a 70-300mm - what gives what am I doing wrong?
nlp239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2006, 1:01 PM   #4

nlp239 wrote:
Quote:
It is an excellent shot - look for an id here http://bugguide.net/node/view/24266

But, one thing I can't understand - how close were you when you shot it, what lens were you using, tubes/bellows?

Why can't I get shots like these with a 70-300mm - what gives what am I doing wrong
Thanks for The link and the comment, Taken withaPanasonic FZ30 fitted with an Olympus MCON-40 Close up lens (macro) at about 12 inches away full zoom
Old Jul 21, 2006, 1:07 PM   #5

nlp239 wrote:
Quote:

Why can't I get shots like these with a 70-300mm - what gives what am I doing wrong?
you're not doing anything wrong... your 70-300 just can't focus nearly close enough. even a top-drawer telezoom in that focal range usually can't focus closer than about 3 feet, and that's not nearly enough to capture such a close image. shots like this usually require either an extension tube set-up of some sort, or a macro/close-up lens. for instance, with my FZ20, i can get extreme close-ups using a Nikon 6T close-up lens which screws onto the lens of my camera. it lets me use the full 430mm focal length of the camera from just 12" away, in addition to the +3 diopter magnification of the close-up lens.
Old Jul 22, 2006, 7:40 AM   #6

Squirel near Seattle, thanks for giving me hope. I really thought I was doing something wrong and was feeling totally inadequate (to add to my usual inferiority complex)because my lens is supposed to be a macro.

Lello, as you're in the UK there might be a specific ID site over there - species on this side of the pool might and will differ.

nlp239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2006, 3:32 PM   #7

Hi Squirel

Do you use your Nikon 6T close-up lenstogether witha +3 diopter ?
Old Jul 22, 2006, 3:46 PM   #8

Lello, the Nikon 6T is a 3-diopter close-uplens. it simply screws onto the adapter on my FZ20. with it in place, i can focus at 12" and still use the full 430mm of telephoto, plus the magnification of the 6T. it's not a true "macro" lens, but the net effect is pretty much the same... here are a couple of shots taken with the 6T on my FZ20:

Old Jul 22, 2006, 3:57 PM   #9

I take it then the Olympus MCON-40 that I use must be a +4 diopter ?