Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Close-ups

Old Aug 19, 2006, 4:41 PM   #1

I have not posted a photo in this forum for a while, and it seems to be kinda slow recently. Shot this in my garden earlier this year with the Sigma 80-400 hand held. Post consisted of a very minor crop , levels and sharpening:

Ron
surfnron is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 21, 2006, 12:51 AM   #2

I like it, there is something very soothing about it...at first glance it reminded me of an underwater shot.
Razor06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2006, 5:28 AM   #3

Razor,
Thanx for the kind words.
Ron
Old Aug 26, 2006, 9:17 PM   #4

It is quite beautiful !

I just joined Steve's today after searching out a new lens...

Are you the surfnron from Tinkers? Good to see you, if you are.

Margieh / picturelady
picturelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2006, 11:10 PM   #5

That is a great use of light. Are you using a wireless flash system?

Nice capture
Mountain Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2006, 7:29 AM   #6

Margieh,
I confess - I am one and the same. What type of lens are you looking for - what are you going to use it for?

MH,
This was natural light. I had to lay on the ground to get the right angle.

Ron

Old Aug 27, 2006, 11:56 AM   #7

Hey Ron...Good to see you!

I was looking for a replacement lens for my 18-55 Kit lens. My photos all of a sudden were looking soft to me. I wanted something in the wide range,at least 18 and alittle longer than 55. I tired out the 17-70 Sigma, which seemed like it would have been idea. Plus I had seen photos taken with it that looked sharp and crisp. I bought one and found the close-ups to my liking, but the wide angle and distant shoots not. Then I tried the 18-50 Sigma and almost the same thing.

When I went back and looked at photos from my kit lens...I found them to be quite nice compared to the 400-600. dollars I would have to lay out!

This is a close-up with the kit, taken this spring in England, at the Sissinghurst Garden....I hope it alright to put a photo on your thread!

No PSed done...so I think for right now, I am just going to be happy with what I have...even the far away ones look good with alittle sharpening.,,,sample below...

Attached Images

Old Aug 27, 2006, 4:08 PM   #8

This is the distant shot with the kit lens...sharpened alittle...
Attached Images

Old Aug 28, 2006, 5:47 PM   #9

Margieh, The first looks pretty soft to me and the second looks ok. But you don't have to please me. You might try going http://www.fredmiranda.com/ and look at the lens reviews.
By the way, the "deer disaster" put me two years behind on my daylily breeding program - no seeds this year, and I didn't get the "keepers" and "composters" marked. They ate all the buds on 300+ plants and then went back and ate the pods. It only took them 3 nights, and they had to jump a 9' fence.
Ron

Old Aug 29, 2006, 12:27 PM   #10

Ron...I am so sorry to hear about the deer disaster! Are you trying again? I imagine that the roots were alright, were they? Yes, that would surely put you back in your program.

My interest has waned on the daylilies. I got into photography heavier and couldn't afford 2 expensive hobbies, so I kind of let the daylilies go.

Marty's (flower fairies) death also had an effect on me...to many good memories with that gal and now she is gone.

I will look at the site you mentioned. I can see it is just going to take some time to find what I want. I got good recommendations on the Tamara 15-50 that I am going to check out.

I also love the photos with wide angles, so that is another area I will explore.

Thanks for your recommendation and again, good seeing you! Margie