Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Color Laser Printers

Old Sep 27, 2006, 11:49 AM   #1

I am the laser specialty papers product manager at Hewlett Packard and would like to test market interest for 4x6 laser photo printing.

Please e-mail me (mark.richards@hp.com) if you would like some 4x6 samples for testing. Please include the following:
  • Your mailing address [/*]
  • What printer you are using [/*]
  • What you use photos for (personal, business) [/*]
  • Why are you interested in printing photos on laser
[/*]
I only ask that you follow up and tell me what you think. Thanks, Mark

mprichar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 28, 2006, 5:19 PM   #2
JSR

I often print photos on my Epson Aculaser, and I have a Samsung CLP that has a good bash at photos, too. Will your paper work on these printers?

I'm hesitant about 6"x4" paper for lasers for two primary reasons -

1) To my knowledge laser printers can't printer borderless, so any print on 6"x4" will be left with an unprinted margin.

2) As I understand it, laser printers have a page-cost (photoconductor, fuser, etc etc) which is the same regardless of the size of the page.

It's thereforecheaper to print two or three 6"x4" on an A4 sheet and trim them up, and this method ensures you get a full 6"x4" as well.

I'm having a hard time understanding the benefit of 6"x4" paper for a laser printer, but I'm always open to new ideas.

Regards

JSR

JSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2006, 12:54 PM   #3

Hi JSR,

Thanks for your reply. I would be interested to know what paper you use when you print photos on your color lasers and what types of photos you're printing. My paper is designed for the heat requirements of laser printers so that's not an issue. The electrical properties of each printer will be different which may impact image quality but this will probably be fairly consistent. The question is whether your printers support up to 220 gsm (grams per square meter) paper. Actually, a coated paper is not as stiff as an uncoated paper which printers are usually rated on so it would likely print fine if the printer supports up to 176gsm or so. You could try it.

You're right about the borderless printing - at least on that small of paper. I know that our printers leave an even quarter inch border all around the edge. This is what came off of inkjet printers up until a few years ago.

There is some truth to the cost of the additional consumables regardless of paper size but it does depend on a number of factors in the printer's design. For example, running out of the MP tray may use more developer life than out of a regular tray and it will vary depending on how the printer manages space between pages and at varying speed. If a printer knows you're printing 4x6, it may reduce the gap between pictures (instead of assuming A4). However, unless you're printing large volumes (thousands) of 4x6 pictures, the cost impact per picture is negligable. Would you prefer to cut 4x6 out of an A4 sheet to save a penny and get borderless or print on a 4x6?

Some people find the benefit of laser to be in the speed, durability of the print, and relatively lower cost than inkjet although inkjet-level quality has not yet arrived (on specialty papers). Thanks again for your interest. -mark-
Old Oct 3, 2006, 6:15 PM   #4
JSR

Hi Mark

The photos I normally print on my Aculaser are fullsize matte (on Rey&Co. ColorLaser paper - that's 100gsm). I do have a real photo printer (R1800) for best and a Picturemate for snapshots, but the lasers give me a well-priced large print when I don't need all that the R1800 offers.

I have tried out glossy papers from Xerox's Colortech Glossy (120gsm), to Epson's own Glossy paper for Aculasers (103gsm) and also DataCopy's 160gsm glossy paper. I've even run through some of Siegel's 250gsm Laser Glossy paper. They are quite similar in the results they give (kind of a satin look).

The thinner papers give the best results. The thicker papers seemed toget squashed too much - you can see roller marks if held to the lightand the toner looks more "matte" than usual (as though it's been "squashed" more).

The Epson Aculaser's paper is all fed from one paper feed but, through the driver you can select from a wide range of paper types. I think the "Extra Thick" selection is around 210gsm, and I think that's what they recommend as maximum. The photographic quality from the Aculaser is superb - some people won't believe that the print is the result of a laser printer. The only thing that's lacking is a "real" gloss, of the kind that inkjets can produce.

The best "glossy" print I've seen from a colour laser was, surprisingly, my old QMS Magicolor 2 Desklaser+when feeding it some of QMS's own glossy "Q-Media", of course. That was glossy because of the polymerised toners that QMS used back in those days. Sadly, the quality of the photos was nothing like today's printers. In those days we had the gloss but not the quality, today we have the quality but not the gloss. Ironical.

The other laser printer I have is a Samsung CLP-550N which I picked up recently - mostly for "regular" work because it's cheaper to run than most other colour laser printers on the market today. The photographic quality of the print is not in the same league as the Aculaser, but plenty good enough for most purposes. This has a maximum paper thickness of 163gsm through the manual paper feed (I've tried most of the glossy papers listed above, but not the 250gsm!).

If there's one complaint I have with these glossy papers, that seems common across them all, and that's that they are not white. Print a photo on 100gsm Rey&Co. ColorLaser paper and one on any of the glossys for comparison, and the one on the cheaper ColorLaser paper looks far superior because it's much whiter.

Given the cost of 6"x4" photos from something like the Picturemate, I'm not sure if there's a huge cost saving by being able to print 6"x4" photos on a colour laser. I know there *should* bea big cost saving but most modern colour laser printers are not as cheap to run as their predecessors. I'll have to do some calculations.

Some colour lasers, for example -the Lexmark C500N, might even be *more* expensive to runthan an inkjet. In some ways the colour laser market isgetting likethe inkjet marketin that the printers get cheaper while the toners are costing more.

Regards

JSR

JSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2007, 12:26 AM   #5

It's now on the market: HP Laser Photo Paper, glossy in a 4x6. Product number is Q8842A US and Q8842AC Canada. $14.99 for 100 sheets at HP Shopping, CompUSA, Staples and soon others.