Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Color Laser Printers

Old Sep 18, 2007, 12:05 PM   #1

My trusty old HP1120c inkjet printer just died after almost 10 years of perfect service. I never really used it for printing photographs because of the Fade Factor. I use an Epson 2000P or my Epson 1280 for all photographs so I'm thinking of replacing the 1120c with a color laserjet. I kind of narrowed down my choice to the HP 2600N color laser printer. Before I make the purchase it would be nice to have some feedback by somebody that actually uses one. If anyone has one will you please tell me about it.

Thanks, Ronnie
Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 19, 2007, 7:50 PM   #2

Hi Ronnie,

Consider HP 2605! The memory capacity of HP 2600n is only 16MB.

Norman
kolorwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2007, 7:07 PM   #3

Thanks for the info Norman,

I took your advice and went to Best Buy to look at the 2605 and they only had the 2600n at that store so I walked down to Office Depot and they not only had the 2605 in stock but it had a instant rebate from HP for $125.00 but it also had a rebate from Office Depot to mail in for another $75.00 bringing the cost to $299.00. I bought it. It is model 2605dn and installed pretty easy. I just did a two sided book with it and thanks to you I'm a very happy 2605 owner.

Again I say thank You for the information.

Ronnie
PS: The manuals don't say weather to just leave this printer on all of the time or use the on/off switch (I-0) on the back of the printer to turn it off when not in use.
Could you advise me on what to do?

Thanks again!
Old Sep 21, 2007, 1:48 AM   #4

Hi Ronnie,

When print (laser printer or inkject printer) is switched on (cold start), its first step is going to make printing calibration. My concerning is this calibrating operation will digest some toner so that try to avoid switch on/off too often.

Basically, almost laser printer has the designing about sleeping mode. This function is laser printer does not work over a period and it will stop some operation such as fuser pre-heating to save energy.

$299.00, it is very cheap! This price is almost same as HP CLJ 1600 in the other country.

Norman
kolorwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2007, 8:02 AM   #5

Thank You Norman,

Ronnie
Old Jan 24, 2008, 6:06 PM   #6

The main issue I have read about this printer is that it uses all cartridges even if only printing black.

See http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2704...#member_rating

This could work out to be quite expensive

chapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2008, 7:50 PM   #7

Actually that is not a problem if you disable the toner monitor. Basically the unit will continue to print regardless of what the toner level reads. So If you do run low on a particular cartridge you will see the result when printing. At that point you would (obviously) just replace the affected cartridge.

The setting is done on the printers control panel. I forget the exact sequence but you can look in your manual for "Cartridge Out Override" in the user manual. It explains the sequence you need to follow.
Riktar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2008, 5:42 PM   #8

I have been using this 2605dn for almost five months now and it is performing flawlessly. I am on my 5th ream of paper and print both color and black pages. I also print a lot of color photo proofs using Kodak laser photo paper. I really like this printer and still thank Norm for suggesting it.

The black cartridge will need replacing way before the color cartridges if the bar indicaters are showing correctly.

Ronnie
Old Feb 23, 2008, 5:39 AM   #9

Ronnie948 wrote:
Quote:
I also print a lot of color photo proofs using Kodak laser photo paper.

The black cartridge will need replacing way before the color cartridges if the bar indicaters are showing correctly.

Ronnie
I never thought of using mine for proofs. That sounds like a MUCH cheaper idea than using the Kodak 1400.

Mine has only been in service for about 150 sheets. Love the duplexing feature. It works great for printing out pdf based manuals.

Since you have a big lead on me in page count I would be interested in hearing what your page count is when the time comes to change out the toner.
Riktar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2012, 5:53 AM   #10

Excellent post! I just stumbled upon your post and gathered some good ideas for what I am working on. Thanks!
WinfieldZenith is offline   Reply With Quote