Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Color Laser Printers

Old Jan 16, 2009, 11:32 AM   #1

I was shopping for a color laser printer and was considering an HP CP1215 with 16MB memory (nonupgradable)versus the CP1518 with 64MB memory. If the memory is insufficient does the printer print a partial page? Or refuse to print at all? Or gives a smaller gamut of colors with stepping (posterization) of gray scales?

ajaynejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 16, 2009, 8:24 PM   #2

The printer's internal memory is really just a buffer, which speeds things up on a network, but isn't really too significant if it is just used with a single PC. (or Mac) It won't have any effect on printing quality.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2009, 7:05 AM   #3

ajaynejr wrote:
Quote:
I was shopping for a color laser printer and was considering an HP CP1215 with 16MB memory (nonupgradable)*versus the CP1518 with 64MB memory. If the memory is insufficient does the printer print a partial page? Or refuse to print at all? Or gives a smaller gamut of colors with stepping (posterization) of gray scales?

In my cases, if the internal memory can not handle a complicated page, you won't get the print out at all.
antony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2009, 8:45 PM   #4

antony wrote:
Quote:
ajaynejr wrote:
In my cases, if the internal memory can not handle a complicated page, you won't get the print out at all.
What software are you using? Many have defaults which rely on printer memory, but can be changed to stream the information to the pinter. There also may be settings in the printer driver which will allow printing of larger files than the buffer can handle.

brian
Old Jan 31, 2009, 8:14 AM   #5
Administrator

I had an issue with the amount of printer memory when upgrading from Windows 3.0 to Windows 3.1. I was using Adobe Typeface Manager fonts prior to the upgrade, and Windows 3.1 had Microsoft Truetype Fonts instead.

After the Windows upgrade, thanks to Microsoft's new Truetype fonts, it was impossible for me to print in higher quality modes without printer out memory errors and partial pages with errors on complex documents (using Ami Pro at the time). Apparently, Microsoft's font implementation had greater printer memory requirements compared to Adobe's (and I was using a Panasonic KXP-4420 Laser printer at the time, which was HP Laserjet II compatible).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2009, 6:54 PM   #6

VTphotog wrote:
*What software are you using?* Many have defaults which rely on printer memory, but can be changed to stream the information to the pinter. There also may be settings in the printer driver which will allow printing of larger files than the buffer can handle.

brian
[/quote]It was a scientific drawing software in Windows (a HP laser printer).
I then experienced the similar thing when trying to print a very high resolution picture using Preview.app (Mac OS X) to an Epson AcuLaser.
antony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2009, 8:27 PM   #7

I have used color lasers in a network situation, but not run up against buffer limitations at (I believe) 32MB internal memory. I was not considering that, unlike inkjets, lasers need to contain the entire image in memory, due to the way they print. It still seems unlikely that the internal memory would be insufficient to print any document at the full resolution the printer is capable of. Of course, manufacturers (all of them) are notorious for promising more than they deliver.

brian
Old Mar 29, 2012, 1:54 AM   #8

Printer requires internal memory in printing operations. This post has lots of great information and inspiration.
WinfieldZenith is offline   Reply With Quote