Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Color Laser Printers

Old Apr 1, 2005, 7:19 PM   #1

For example, the data information of Minolta Konica magicolor 2300 series indicates 4,500 A4 pages @ 5% coverage. HP CLJ 2550 is 4,000 A4 pages @ 5% coverage. Hope somebody can advise me relative toner data about weight (gram) or volume (ml) in cartridge. Thanks!
kolorwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 15, 2005, 8:54 AM   #2

well since toner is plastic / dry there's no ml ... as far as weight, that's something one can determine by weighing an empty and full cartridge and then taking the difference.

Usually I've found that the 'rated' pages that the manufacturer offers is very conservative to profound, depending on the manufacturer/distributor. HP on the conservative side (you'll get more than they say) and Dell on the profound (or not disclosed) side since their print "area" is much less than the others when they talk about 5% coverage.
JohnMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2005, 8:54 AM   #3

well since toner is plastic / dry there's no ml ... as far as weight, that's something one can determine by weighing an empty and full cartridge and then taking the difference.

Usually I've found that the 'rated' pages that the manufacturer offers is very conservative to profound, depending on the manufacturer/distributor. HP on the conservative side (you'll get more than they say) and Dell on the profound (or not disclosed) side since their print "area" is much less than the others when they talk about 5% coverage.
JohnMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2005, 7:16 PM   #4

Latest, I got information is 140g refilled by recycle company and 160g filled by original maker.
kolorwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2005, 6:25 AM   #5

I work for one of the larger toner-based printer manufacturers, as an technical instructor. We do not provide information on how many grams of tonerare in a toner cartridge - it's considered company proprietary information.

One thing that is very serious - 3rd party toner and toner reifills. While I admit to having a vested interest in our profitability, I will always recommend that people who want to get the best quality / longest life out of our products stay away from 3rd party toner products. I know what type of processes we go through to manufacture our toner and none of the 3rd party toners even come close. Looking at microscopic images of our toner versus 3rd party show a clear picture of the differences.

It's the old addage of "Pay me know . . . or Pay me later . . .You will pay."

My opinion, based on a fair amount of first hand knowledge, for what it's worth!
PANikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2006, 11:38 PM   #6

PANikon, I second your motion on using OEM products. They may appear to be more expensive, but toner and inkjet ink are much more complex than some people may think. (Or the bogus stuff is just plain malaciously produced and marketed). People often create expensive messes when they try to save money and use bootleg or refilled supply items.

I am a field service rep for a copier / printer company, and I have looked for references on the toner amounts in our cartridges. So far, I've not found anything on our publicly available sources.
tomcat5470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2006, 8:54 PM   #7

That seems to be such an odd thing to keep a secret, other than brain-dead management, I can't think of a decent reason for it to be that way.

PANikon wrote:
Quote:
We do not provide information on how many grams of tonerare in a toner cartridge - it's considered company proprietary information.
JeffDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2006, 7:38 PM   #8

Printer consumables are one of the biggest rackets going. The manufacturers have even tried to twist the DMCA into a weapon that they can use to continue their abuse of consumers.

I was looking for similar information today, but for monochrome lasers, and discovered that, although the vendors don't like to disclose this data, they do like to boast about good test reports and one of the main testing laboratories includes page yield in their reports as a matter of course. Even better, the reported values are experimental results, not marketing "specs."

Try doing a search for

buyers lab reprint impressions per gram

to see some of these reports. For example, the Xerox Phaser 6120N has 135-140 grams of toner per color and gets about 25 impressions per gram.
http://www.office.xerox.com/latest/612AR-03.PDF

tfmorris is offline   Reply With Quote