Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Color Laser Printers

Old Apr 6, 2005, 7:46 PM   #1

The market share of color laser printer is growing every year and there are more and more people use laser printer to print photography. Let's use the view point from paper to talk about photography by laser printing.

Paper thickness and color saturation:[/b]
The most critical is color saturation of printing image. The color calibration of laser printer is based on common paper (80~100 gsm). If it is more thickness (for example, the paper of conventional development system is over 180 gsm), the color saturation will be reduced. How to increase both of paper thickness and color saturation at same time?

Printing speed:[/b]
Slow down printing speed can takes more time for toner transfer to get better color saturation. In the market, there are different types for 4~5 ppm (pages per minute), 16 ppm and over 20 ppm. Fortunately, printing speed is possible to be controlled by selection icon of paper material. Recommended speed is 106~160 gsm.

Thermal stress:[/b]
Many people recommend inkject glossy photo paper or premium paper for laser photographic printing. Be careful! The heating temperature of fuser can rise up to 200 degree C during printing. The potential risk of thermal stress is possible to melt-down the coating material of paper surface or crack happening. Particular, printing is operating at low speed. Thickness again! The thickness of those products is over 80~100 gsm.

Paper polarity:[/b]
Another methodology is how to change physical characteristic of paper surface to improve toner transfer. Fortunately, toner is negative polarity of almost laser printers, it is possible to spray electrical positive charge on the paper surface and conduct more toner to paper surface.

Resolution:[/b]
Due to toner is dry powder in natural, the paper has no connection with resolution. The image resolution is decided by printer's engine and printing language. 600 x 600 dpi can offer remarkable picture image quality. 1,200 x 1,200 dpi also improves more grades of gray level and better cubic effect for digital printing oriented from half-tone.
kolorwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 8, 2005, 1:16 AM   #2

I have tried having prints done on color laser printers, and of the two attempts, I am yet to be satisfied.

Printed several full letter size prints on a Konica-Minolta 2300 at our local library. Colors were faithfully reprocuced and resolution was very good on plain paper. The K-M does not print at all well on other than plain paper, and does not handle heavier weight papers, so printing on heavy weight matte stock is out, asare glossy prints.

Had some poster size prints made by commercial print shop using (Fuji, I think) color laser, on heavy matte paper. Again, color reproduction was excellent and resolution good. This equipment does print on glossy photo paper as well.

The problem I have with lasers, is the tendency to change the texture of the print based on the amount of toner which is fused to the paper. Dark areas tend to develop a semi-gloss finish, with the lighter parts remaining matte. I have not found a way to correct this, and until it is, I will only use lasers for non-critical printing.

brian
VTphotog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2005, 5:16 AM   #3

Konica Minolta magicolor 2300 and EPSON Aculaser 900/1900 are same QMS printer engine. I have two sets of EPSON Aculaser 1900 to do test for photography printing. It must select "thick paper" before printing! As I know, 2350 can automatically detect paper thickness and go to set. According to the specification, the setting of thick paper is 106~163 gsm. I use this way to test and the paper thickness can reach to 240 gam (weight) and 0.23~0.24mm (thickness). Be careful! The stuck may be happening when paper weight is over 250 gsm or 0.25mm. I also have two sets of HP CLJ 2550, it also needs to set 106~163 gsm for printing of more thickness.

Konica Minolta magicolor 2350EN is suitable to printing photography. This type provides printing language such as PostSceript3PCL6 and so on. The type of 2300W and 2300DL have GDI only. Printing language has critical connection with printing quality. Same as HP, the difference between HP 2500 and 2550 also is printing language.
Old Apr 20, 2005, 5:45 PM   #4

I bought a Minolta 2350EN about 3 weeks ago. I paid $600 after rebate a t Quill. It prints at 9600 x 600.

I have printed 43 photographs and framed them so far. Like it a lot. Has more difinition that an inkjet. Sharper.

The only thing I had to watch was if there was a color cast to the photo. Like a green or blue overtone cast. It will make it more visible.

But maybe the best thing about the is the are more reliable and don't dry out like inkjets. Matter of fact, I don't have to mess with those %*@# inkjets anymore.

I am using PaintShop Pro 9 and the crops and prints to the crop size is really good. Every print matched the frame.

John

jrdeahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2005, 9:15 PM   #5

I also used large image file (3~5 MB) to test printing quality about sharp. The result is satisfactory. As I know, the resolution of 150/300dpi required in ordinary commercial oil ink printing. Not yet verified information is 600 dpi resolution of laser printing is equivalent to 14,400 dpi of inkject.

The other suggestion is close irrelative tasks, windows, images or programs during large image file processing! The heavy task loading of PC has potential risk of printing incomplete or color discontinue. This experience is very interested and difference with past experience about inkject printing or document printing.