Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Color Laser Printers

Old May 23, 2005, 3:30 PM   #1

I just purchased an Okidata C5150n color laser printer on sale for $400 at Staples. I wanted this type of printer for color graphics printing and color photo illustrated text documents but I found out to my surprise that it does
exceptionally well with full page photograph images including skin tones. Making prints of the same image on an Epson 1200 Photo inkjet and the Oki C5150n compare very favorability. It also has a wide range of image color adjustments.
Okidata says that at 80% coverage cost per print is about 26 cents for an 8 x 10. Normally color laser printers state cost per page based on 5 to 15% coverage but for photos and dense graphics you need to consider about 80% coverage.
My estimate is that a normal cartridge rated at 4000 copies would net out at about 1500 copies for full page photos.
Normal text and graphics with 20% coverage should give me about 10 cents per page. It comes with the smaller "starter" cartridges like all of the other manufacturers.
So far, two days later I am still pleased with this printer. Nice thing about Staples is you can test drive for 15 days and return if not satisfied.
twcoffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 23, 2005, 11:37 PM   #2

Sound is reasonable! The standard of toner consumable is how many pages printed based on 5% coverage, for example 4,000 pages based on 5% coverage. I use average calculation based 100% coverage of photographic printing. That means 25% coverage of each C/M/Y/K for one page printing. If 4,000 pages based on 5% coverage, it possible to print 800 pages at least for photographic printing. If you can find the resource of cartridge recycling & toner refilling, it is possible save the cost around 15~20 % per printing. The volume of refilling toner is 90~100% of original supply.
kolorwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2006, 11:06 AM   #3

So - a year (+) later, are you still remakably pleased with this printer? I'm looking at a refurbished model from TigerDirect for $229. Ignoring the initial hardware cost, how do you think the per page toner cost compares to ink forsomething like an Epsonink jet (I have a CX6400)?

Thanks -

Charlie Z
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2006, 11:07 AM   #4

(Sorry, this was a duplicate posting - please delete)
Old Aug 20, 2006, 8:42 PM   #5

It is common understanding that cost of laser printing per page is less than inkject.

Norman

kolorwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2006, 9:45 PM   #6

Thanks, I understand that. I had an Apple LaserWriter Select 300 that I bought in '93 and only had to buy toner for about 3-4 times until it was made obsolete by my G4 iMac, purchased in 2003. Even at $80 for each toner cartridge, it was by far more affordable than my Epson CX6400, for which I've easily spent well over $300 on ink in just three years (and under comparable printing conditions/volume over that time).

I'm just interested in what the actual experience has been with the Okidata.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 2:28 PM   #7

I too would like to know. We're considering buying new laser printer in two weeks. OKIDATA users .... tell us!:?
bucketowater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2008, 11:16 AM   #8

This printer is impressive. Very good results. The only problem is that annoying message every time each of the color is low, in windows vista is even worse. Toner is a little bit expensive but I got really good compatibles, http://www.imagetoner.com they put wax on the cartridges, so they look like OEM.
alejovel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2008, 6:05 PM   #9

I use a OKI 3450 Laser Printer for a while now, I think the printer is capable of really nice prints. However, print quality differs for me and I think that's mainly because of me postprocessing the photos in a wrong way (for the printer). Some photos look good, even brillant and some can really compete against my Canon Inkjet, but some doesn't come out at least decent.

After some testing I found my dream combination for printing, downloaded the color profiles from OKI and use QImage mostly... still I think there is room for improvement on my side.

As for costs... well, can't really say as I still use the first cardridges, although I have a "no magenta" and "low yellow" warning... it still works. The dialog is annoying and the initial printer communication from non-microsoft software (i.e. QImage) is slow for some reason (using the printer via LAN).

Other than that it's a nice all-around laser printer (doing all the family stuff with it, from text/graphics to photo), price is decent, too.
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 9:49 PM   #10

Default Toner Cartridge suppliers

Toner Cartridge suppliers
lanctly is offline   Reply With Quote