Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Color Laser Printers

Old Oct 18, 2005, 1:23 PM   #1

I'm looking for a color laser to print 8x10 photos on for my kids school. The DELL models get high marks but I can't get DELL to send me a test print out. Does anyone have one? What do you think of the photo printing and would you be willing to mail me a print out? I can paypal for postage!

Thanks,

Joel
joelbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 21, 2005, 3:19 AM   #2

DELL entry-level 3000cn is 600 x 600 dpi with 2400 image quality with PCL 6 print languages is acceptable to print high photographic quality, corresponding to my experience that is HP CLJ 2550L also 600 x 600 dpi with 2400 dpi technology with PCL 6 print languages. My experience is same 600 dpi printer's engine, if the printer with PCL 6 or PostScript print language willoffer better printing quality (gray level) than GDI printing language .

It is very lousy that almost printer makers do not open demonstration center for customer to test print out. Although, they offer some finishing printing samples, the topic of those samples still do not catch the point for photographic application. Honesty speaking, the price of 3000cn is very cheap. If Dell sells it in my country, I like to buy it. Currently, the price of HP CLJ 2550L (old type without Ethernet, new type is 2600n) still needs around USD 400.

Norman Chen
kolorwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2005, 7:21 PM   #3

The DELL rep on the phone told me they would ship me one (they have free shipping) and I could return it if I wasn't satisfied for a full refund (minus the return shipping). It would cost me about $65 in shipping. It's funny that they will ship the printer but not a print-out.

Anyone else have suggestions on a color laser they are happy with for photo printing?
Old Nov 8, 2005, 1:56 AM   #4

The paper thickness has critical relationship with photographic printing quality by laser printer. Basically, the designing and color calibration of color laser printer is based on common photocopy paper (70gsm). When increase paper thickness, the color saturation of printing quality will be decreased (color becomes white). The other concerning is the coating material on the paper surface has the potential risk to be melted-down and damage laser printer.

I used EPSON C1900 during development of photo paper for photography printing and waited for HP 2550L launched market because 2500 did not offer PCL6 printing language.

It is possible to use entry-level laser printer for photographic printing if the photo paper has positive polarity on the surface to help toner transfer completely. Otherwise, you must use common photocopy paper.

My conclusion of laser printer for photographic printing is as follows:

1. 600 dpi resolution of printer's engine is acceptable.

2. Output resolution of printing quality is 2400 dpi at less.

3. PCL6 or PostScript printing language is necessary.

4. GDI printing language is not recommended!

5. If PCL6 or PostScript printing language does not offer, it needs to test the printing quality of this type printer.

The launch market price of HP 2600n is USD 399 and drop to USD 359 in US market but, in the other country, still is USD 399 and also do not offer PCL6 printing language. During last month, Dell dropped their entry-level color laser printer to USD 259. Comparing both specifications, I would rather buy Dell if I live in US.

Norman Chen
Old Jan 31, 2006, 12:54 AM   #5

Hi, I'm the product manager for HP's laser specialty papers and was just starting to look at some of the dialogue on-line about laser photo papers. I saw this and found it very interesting. At HP, we spent over two years developing new coating technology to have heavy, glossy papers for laser photo printing. While we're not talking about the high gloss quality of inkjet photos, the quality (with the right paper) on some printers can be equal to offset print.

We have some new products -HP Glossy Laser Photo Paper (Q6608A) which is 220gsm coated two sides and Glossy Brochure Laser Paper (Q6611A) which is C2S 160 gsm. There is also matte versions at these weights (Q6549A/200gsm and Q6543A/160gsm).

These are in letter size only today. I'm intrigued to know if there is an interest in 4x6 laser photo paper out there and what it would be used for. -m-
mprichar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2006, 11:07 AM   #6

Interesting. I personally wouldn't be interested in 4x6 paper. My attraction to a photo quality (or near photo quality) laser printer is more about ease than quality.

I look at color laser as a way to run out large 8x11 color images quickly and inexpensively, often for proofing. Sometimes when I am sorting through a large number of images, trying to find a narrative and eliminate images, I find it useful to print them out on my black and white laser printer and lay them out on the floor of a room.

I look at laser as a supplement to a high-end ink-jet or professional printing.

I noted that the HP color lasers got middle marks from PC World.

http://pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,aid,123839,00.asp

Any thoughts you can share with us?
Old Jan 31, 2006, 11:52 AM   #7

Great comments. Different people use color laser for different purposes including proofing for other jobs as you do. Color laser is also becoming increasingly popular for printing marketing collateral and other professional documents in-house that used to be outsourced. Every generation, the technology advances further and further and although it doesn't deliver glossy inkjet-like photo (yet), the photo/image quality is very satisfactory for many applications. I see many cases in which folks feel the quality is sufficient for the photos they are printing. I'm trying to better determine when and what.

Of course the printer itself and the paper used makes a huge difference. Many people have realized (through aweful trial and error) that you can't use inkjet photo papers on laser printers (fuser wrap/melt) or that they can't find heavy, glossy papers that work. Even if they do, the toners rarely provide a glossy level sufficient to call it true photo. Using the right paper on the right printer can greatly expand the applications for which the quality is good enough. Of course the higher end the printer the more likely you get photo-like quality.
Old Jan 31, 2006, 9:22 PM   #8

Basically, it needs high resolution of printer's engine or printing output quality if it wants to approach full tone (photographic development system) by half-tone (digital printing).

The most important matter is how to transfer toner from OPC drum to paper sufficiently when increase paper thickness. The characteristic of paper surface must beimproved,otherwise the color saturation is very poor. Our technology is how to improve conductivity of PP synthetic paper surface and had test with EPSON Aculaser C900/C1900/C3000/C4000/C4100, HP 2550/3700/4600/5500/9500/Indigo, Xerox DC 12/6060 and Konica Minolta 2450. Regarding to entry-level HP 2600n and EPSON C1100, we give up. The reason is HP 2600n does not offer PostScript printing languageand EPSON C1100 uses belt to transfer toner from OPC drum to paper.

Due to toner is dry powder and cover the surface of photo paper, this is complete different story with inkject printing.Toner embraces wax inside and I think it is possible toimprove waxfor glossy!Laminating is another way to approach glossy at this moment.

http://www.alibaba.com/catalog/11074...ml?f=myalibaba

Old Feb 7, 2006, 1:50 PM   #9

Anyone else have an idea of how I can get a printout from a Dell 3100 or other Dell color laser printer?
Old Feb 7, 2006, 3:25 PM   #10

Hi Joel, I can't help you with a Dell print out but send me your address and I'll be happy to send you an HP laser print out on HP laser photo paper. Let me know what your price range is so I pick appropriate equipment. -mark-