Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Color Laser Printers

Old Jan 18, 2006, 11:43 AM   #1

Is there any such thing as a high-gloss paper for Lazers?
I realize the melt-down potential of gloss ink-jet paper so I'm not going to try that, but if somebody knows of a Lazer high gloss paper, please share...
Y4806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 20, 2006, 12:36 AM   #2

Due to toner is dry powder and covered on the paper surface, high glossy photo paper has not connection with glossy quality. Toner particle has wax inside and it is possible to offer a little bit of glossy quality.
kolorwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2006, 6:00 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply.
But, in the meantime, I answered my own question.

Yesterday I asked my question at Office Depot and I got an HP rep.

HP offers both semi-gloss and gloss LAZER paper.

It's not easy to find but I got a package of both.

It does work!

It isn't going to blow the socks off a good inkjet, but the quality and gloss are pretty good.

I did an 8" x 8" photo as a trial on my Konika/Minolta Magicolor 2300. The result was superior to one of my my old Epson (non-photo) printers!

So, if your only printer is an inexpensive color lazer, don't dispare. You CAN get decent photos.
Old Jan 31, 2006, 12:40 AM   #4

Hi, I'm the product manager for HP's laser specialty papers and was just starting to look at some of the dialogue on-line about laser photo papers. I saw this and found it very interesting. I think the products you're referring to are the HP Glossy Laser Photo Paper (Q6608A) which is 220gsm coated two sides ( we spent two years developing this patented technology for laser) or perhaps the lighter (160gsm) Glossy Brochure Laser Paper (Q6611A). There is also matte versions at these weights (Q6549A/200gsm and Q6543A/160gsm).

These are in letter size only today. I'm intrigued to know if there is an interest in 4x6 laser photo paper. While laser won't produce the glossy traditional type photos of an inkjet, the quality (with the right paper) on some printers can be offset print quality. -m-
mprichar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2006, 12:03 AM   #5

As far as I know, you (HP) have the only game in town with these papers.

I doubt that a 4 x 6 sizewill be worth it though. There are a lot of inexpensive ink and dye sub "snapshot" priners. Besides, I've found that if I try to use anything other than full size paper in my laser I spend a lot of time clearing jams.

mprichar wrote:
Quote:
Hi, I'm the product manager for HP's laser specialty papers and was just starting to look at some of the dialogue on-line about laser photo papers. I saw this and found it very interesting. I think the products you're referring to are the HP Glossy Laser Photo Paper (Q6608A) which is 220gsm coated two sides ( we spent two years developing this patented technology for laser) or perhaps the lighter (160gsm) Glossy Brochure Laser Paper (Q6611A). There is also matte versions at these weights (Q6549A/200gsm and Q6543A/160gsm).

These are in letter size only today. I'm intrigued to know if there is an interest in 4x6 laser photo paper. While laser won't produce the glossy traditional type photos of an inkjet, the quality (with the right paper) on some printers can be offset print quality. -m-
Old Feb 8, 2006, 12:05 PM   #6

Thanks. What laser printer model do you have? Do you ever print photos for business purposes? What?
Old Feb 8, 2006, 6:46 PM   #7

I have the Konika/Minolta Magicolor 2300 and a slug of ink jets and dye subs.

No business. I'm retired. It's all just self-indulgent fun.
Old Feb 11, 2006, 7:40 PM   #8

I am interested in 8 x 12 inch laser paper, so that 4 4x6 images can be printed on one sheet, then cut on a paper cutter. This would maximize the production of the print engine, (the equipment that I might get uses up drums and other supplies faster when you do small runs). It would also allow a larger printer to have a decent sized piece of stock to feed through its path.
tomcat5470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2006, 10:40 AM   #9

Good idea. I had thought of doing 3 4x6s to a letter size page but an 8x12 would be more efficient. Would you pay 10% more to have the page perforated to easily separate the photos (and a template to print them out) or would you rather cut them and get the perfect edge?
Old Feb 13, 2006, 11:25 PM   #10

I think that the template / perforations would be worth it, because my cuts with a paper cutter may not be the best. That's with images butted up against each other, or small white spaces that I'd have to cut equally.
tomcat5470 is offline   Reply With Quote