Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Color Laser Printers

Old Nov 27, 2006, 10:14 AM   #11

I have a question about printing on an HP2550n laser. I am using the glossy HP high quality paper, however all of the prints appear to look like a matte finish after printing instead of a real glossy print. Is there a setting or something to that effect that can change this? Thanks
rreiffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2006, 9:23 PM   #12

Glossy printing quality is determined by toner, not paper, because toner is dry powder and always covers paper surface. If use glossy laser photo paper print on laser printer, only white border has glossy after printing without toner covering. This is complete difference with inkject printing due to it is liquid ink.
kolorwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2006, 6:40 PM   #13

Steve writes:

You don't want a color laser, you want a color dye sub printer. For album work take a look at the Kodak 1400 Professional, for less than $500 it is tough to beat.

I think Steve is right for professional albums and for all photos that clients are looking at from very close up. But for stuff you're going to put on the wall, A4 size and framed, I would heartily recommend Xerox's Phaser series. They're cheaper than inkjets to run and the colours are vivid. I've had a Phaser 8400 for two years; the newer 8550 has a higher dpi count. You can print on virtually anything; the quality of the paper has little effect on the quality of the print out.

Using generic inks seriously brings the price down.

http://www.office.xerox.com/color-pr...8550/enca.html
baimbridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2006, 6:43 PM   #14

Thanks all for the input. I guess I'll keep the HP2550N as a good basic network printer for B&W and for the occasional color brochure (after all I picked it up at Officemax for $300 with three years complete maintenance) and start looking at some of the other printers everyone here has mentioned.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"As a side note, I have printed on my good old HP1200 and we have been very happy with the prints, however I was wondering if anyone has figured out the overall best quality/performance/price per page metrics of some of these printers? Thanks

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Rich
rreiffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2007, 5:45 PM   #15

Dear baimbridge,

I found your info very interesting and started looking around. Phaser 6110 is somewhat cheaper, and not as powerful. But all I need is about400 prints a year. What do you know about 6110? I am not sure about dpi, can not find any info.

Thank you.
peter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2007, 2:55 PM   #16

i just returned an hp2605dn and hp3600n after some extensive testing and learning. my goal was to have something i could print proofs on and also promotional stuff. i really wanted the 3600 to work. i tested these with hp photo and hp presentation papers as well as with high guality hp laser paper. first i was very surprised that the photos from the 2605 had more pop, color and contrast than from the 3600. the 3600 had much more detail, but no contrast or pop. too light! the current firmware update for the 3600 does noting for this. i hope the next one does because this would be a great printer. i also got repeated pcl memory errors with the 2605, and i was not willing to add memory. without it i would not be able to print two sided, which is something i want to do. i was using qimage with the default srgb icc profile, which brings me to my next point, these gdi hp printers do not support icc profiles.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"i suggest that anyone considering a color laser look at konica-minolta, xerox, oki, dell, or lexmark. some, if not all, support ICC profiles. as a photographer i would not get a printer that does not support created ICC profiles.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"samples of the konica-minolta 2550dn are the best i have seen on plain paper. adding an additional 256mb will allow me to print 100% photos on both sides of a legal page. xerox has introduced some nice legal size glossy coated papers.
ottoburgess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2007, 9:46 PM   #17

I know what you are looking for. it will cost a little more than the $2000 limit you set, but it is worth is. The Konica Minolta 7450 comes incredibly close to inkjet quality, enough to actually be used for photographic output. Research it out.

Peter
Peter Gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2007, 3:31 PM   #18

Hi,
I have a minolta qms magicolor 6100 laser printer. It is network adaptable. The photo quality is very good but it will not make a good glossy photo. As was mentioned earlier the issue is toner vs ink jet, big difference. But without getting into that it will support media up to 12x18 and at tabloid size 11x17 it will print full color about 2 pages a minute or 4 to 6 in letter size. There are a lot of nice lasers today such as Xerox has that are much faster but you will pay 5 to 8000 for them. The 6100 can be purchased used or refurbished for under 2000 and it is a work horse. I have a small graphics business and I have done thousands of calendars, flyers, cards, and text with it. If you don't mind a matte look I would say it is very good. In todays standards it's a little slow although text is very fast but it was made along with the Tally a few years ago to bridge the gap from business to graphics quality laser. It will not however do glossy very well. I have tried many types of color copy gloss medias and although picture quality is good gloss is not. It depends on your needs. Either way if you go to color laser be ready to do a lot of preventative maintenance. Unlike the ink jet it needs to be cleaned and there are a lot of things to watch. The upside is even though the 4 cartridges are expensive 150 to 200 a piece for a full cartridge, you will get 6 to 8000 pages out of each so that ends up being a lot cheaper than ink jet and like ink jet there are places to refill them cheaply.
esharri
esharri is offline   Reply With Quote