Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Color Laser Printers

Old Jun 7, 2006, 8:57 PM   #1

I know this question has been asked in many different forms but since new printers are coming out more often I thought I would ask it again. I am a wedding photographer and want to purchase a color laser printer upto $2000 to print photos to be bound for an album for the clients. Which printer prints photo the best or are they pertty much the same? I am looking at oki n7550. I tried the oki 5500 but not satisfied with the prints or will I never be satisfied. I love my inkjet but want something fast and cost effective. Any help could be appreciated.

thank you
jazlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 8, 2006, 10:09 PM   #2

Sorry, I have no experience about OKI Data but my customer tested Avision (http://www.avision.com/usa/) MFP AM6220 one month ago and its print engine is delivered from OKI Data. The testing result was very satisfactory. I had a little bit of surprising because the printing language is GDI and it is not sophisticated. Regularly, I do not recommend GDI for photographic printing.

I do not know what you were unsatisfied? Sharpness or color saturation (too white)? Before my customer to test Avision MFP AM6220, I always advised again and again about "slow down printing speed". Hope you may check the paper thickness (weight)!

Wedding photography is a wonderful application for photography printed by laser printer. Three months ago, one person requested me help to print one series wedding pictures by laser printer. The reason is the pictures still are possible to turn-yellowish for long time although frame it. This person hope to use synthetic paper to resist it. I used HP CLJ 2550L to print because 2605 did not yet release. The printing quality was always very poorat beginning. At last, I found these image filesare RGB format[/b]!

Norman

kolorwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2006, 4:55 PM   #3

I always convert my sRGB to 4 color in photoshop before printing them.* I was not satisfied with dark color and the skin tone.* It almost looked too saturated. So what printer do you reccomend for potographers? I am willing to spend $2000 on a laser printer.**also I notice some printer says 600x600 1200x1200 and 1200x600 does any of this matter?I am using staples color laser gloosy printer.If you can advice I would greatly appreciate it.
jazlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2006, 8:08 PM   #4

It is a little bit of complication about resolution. The specification of some printer makers just indicates printer engine resolution. The other indicates both of printer engine resolution and output printing quality resolution. For example about HP, all of HP laser printer series is based on 600dpi that means the printer's engine is 600dpi. However, the dimension of toner is around 5 ~ 8 micrometer. HP uses technology to enhance output printing quality up to 2,400dpi, 3,600dpi and 4,800dpi for different level printers. High resolution pluses PostScript printing language is possible to enhance gray level.

Sorry, I have no experience about OKI Data LED technology. As I know, the largest market share in every country is HP and the second in northern America is Konica Minolta. Suggest you try to find HP and Konica Minolta distributors and test their demonstration sets of HP CLJ 2605 and Konica Minolta magicolor 2450.

The color quality has difference between different printing technologies or printers. Many people use ICC Profile to test printing quality.

Norman
kolorwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2006, 10:41 AM   #5
Administrator

jazlee wrote:
Quote:
I know this question has been asked in many different forms but since new printers are coming out more often I thought I would ask it again. I am a wedding photographer and want to purchase a color laser printer upto $2000 to print photos to be bound for an album for the clients.

You don't want a color laser, you want a color dye sub printer. For album work take a look at the Kodak 1400 Professional, for less than $500 it is tough to beat.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2006, 11:35 AM   #6

I have the Kodak 1400 Pro and it does a great job on Glossy prints, but I would recommend staying away from the Matte finish. The matte just doesn't look right to me, it's a coating put on after the print that gives it a flat look. But the glossy prints are amazing and the most durable I've ever seen.

Dave
headhunter66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2006, 11:52 AM   #7

I'd also echo Steve's comment you don't want to use a color laser for wedding photography at the very least a dye-sub but traditional print processing would be better.
jtgraphics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2006, 10:58 AM   #8

Hi, these postings are form June but I thought I would go ahead and respond. In general, I agree you won't find laser quality satisfactory for wedding photos (although HP may change that). The disagreement I have with dye sub is that it is expensive and the pictures fade quickly (~5 years).

As for testing on color lasers, HP sells a220gsm HP Glossy Color Laser Photo Paper (Q6608A) designed specifically for the electrical and heat requirements of color lasers. Our proprietary coating technology took two years to develop and works optimally on HP color lasers.
mprichar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2006, 10:59 AM   #9

Hi, I've been looking for help with an HP Color LaserJet 2605 that I recently purchased, and found this discussion.

First, I'm wondering if everyone agrees that, with the right settings and paper, a laser printer is a good solution for non-critical prints that are relatively inexpensive and durable. I'm talking home photos to take to the office, send to more distant relatives, print contact sheets, etc. For more permanent needs, I would always go to a lab for "real" prints, but my wife often wants a quick print when we are reviewing the latest shots.

Second, did jazlee or anyone else try the CLJ 2605 or similar? Did you have any problems? See below:

mprichar - since you seem to have some inside info on the CLJ 2605, I'm seeing something strange in Adobe Photoshop Elements. It looks like it's taking an RGB image and swapping the red and the blue. Green looks fine. I've tried tons of permutations of software and printer color management settings, but either I've not hit on the right combination or something's terribly wrong. Printing from other apps so far produces normal results. Any ideas?

UPDATE: I found a solution to my problem. HP likes to install their PCL6 drivers for everything, but some apps don't work properly unless you are using PostScript drivers. I had to manually update the drivers, search the CD for the PS drivers, and then reconfigure my color settings in Photoshop Elements and in the printer driver. That fixed the problem. I even have a new option in the printer driver ICM list for calibrated printing. Now I just have to tweak the settings a bit to improve colors and get betterdetail in the shadows.

I'm still interested in others' comments about using this type of printer vs. other technologies for quick prints.
ISupportU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2006, 7:22 PM   #10

I made a test print on a HP Color LaserJet 2605 at CompUSA -- I have it in front of me.

It is an excellent print for a laser.

I too have been looking for a printer for sending to friends, proofs, make things for the kids to play with -- I also send out anything I want to put up on the wall or into an album.

Does anyone have the 2605 and have any thoughts?

Of the color lasers I've seen -- and I haven't looked at this sector for a few months -- this seems like the best option for printing photos.

joelbra is offline   Reply With Quote