Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Color Laser Printers

Old Jul 15, 2006, 8:21 PM   #1

I'm writing a book which contains 360 digital photographs as part of its Pattern language. I want to produce a manuscript copy which I provide to leading people in the field, asking them to read it and to write a one paragraph comment which can go in the first edition.

I have an HP colorjet 4500n laser printer and find (a) the 96MB memory is not enough, one of the four colors (different each time) drops out, (b) the color is not great. Time to sell.

If I could get a Xerox 1250, I would be happy, but not if I had to pay for it.

Oki has been recommended as a great printer, but this is by the guy who sold me the HP (used) and now does only Oki. Looking at the reviews, it's very confusing. Looking here with only 23 postings, I don't find my answer. Need good price, good quality, but not wedding pic level, duplex, able to handle the pics ar 300 dpi so I don't have to redo each one when I go to the print company. I'm using Adobe Creative Suite 2 on Windows XP-Pro.

Thanks for any and all advice
messenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 18, 2006, 6:20 AM   #2

I have had great results with my Oki 5450dn, very pleased with the print quality,both black and white and colour,never misses a beat. I print small run books,the odd colour page and colour covers.thats the good part.

On the down side the cost of printing colour is HORRENDOUS,if you are considering printing A4 colour photos in your manuscript you can budget US$0.70 PER SIDE.it looks like OKI are ripping off the small business user by charging 3 times the black toner price for the colour toners

I am currently investigating refills other than genuine OKI for the colour cartridges,if I am not successful I will keep it as a B&w only. and investigate other colour printer.

I use either Quark express or In design to layout,then produce PDF to print from,the duplex unit on the 5450 works well.
fperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2006, 4:04 PM   #3

Try Stephen Ellison, contact details below. He says he is the only refiller of Oki cartridges in New Zealand. Let me know how his prices compare.

Stephen Ellison
Equipment Sourcing
proclamation@watchdog.net.nz
M316, Private Bag 300-987, Albany
10/215 Rosedale Rd, Albany
Tel/Fx: 09-426-4266
Mob: 027-44-44-165

messenger is offline   Reply With Quote