Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Computers and Operating Systems

Old Jan 13, 2010, 11:23 AM   #101
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ordo View Post
Today I installed the Windows 7 Pro 64. It took sometime but went smooth. But curiously when installing the Gforce driver it doesn't recognize it as a 64 bits wiin7 n be happening here?
I'd download the latest driver from Nvidia and use it, versus one from the Windows install media, or one that came with the card, or one from Windows updates. They may have an issue with it (or it could be named incorrectly in your card's driver CD, or something to that effect). Early 64 bit Windows 7 drivers may be a bit buggy, too (and a newer one should correct most issues). Here's a link to it:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7_wi...5.62_whql.html
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2010, 2:18 PM   #102
Administrator

P.S.

Just to make sure you didn't accidentally install the 32 bit versus 64 bit version of Windows 7 (both are included in the retail boxed version of it), you may want to try this (I'm assuming that this probably works with Windows 7, too):

Open System by clicking the Start button, then click Control Panel, click on System and Maintenance, and then click on System. Then, you should be able to see what you are running under. Note that "help about" may tell you that information with some Microsoft applications, too (and some may have a System choice listed for more info).

You may also be able to tell more about your version by clicking on the Start menu and entering this in the search box (works with Vista, but I don't know if it works with Windows 7):

winver
Old Jan 13, 2010, 7:44 PM   #103

Didn't configured the adsl yet Jim. Tried al other searches and there's not mention of 64 bits. All that I can get is Windows 7 Professional Version 6.1 (which is common to both) During instalation I was not asked for 32 or 64 versions. It's an OEM. Weird. Tomorrow I'll contact the seller.

Last edited by Ordo; Jan 13, 2010 at 8:09 PM.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2010, 8:14 PM   #104
Administrator

The OEM versions may only come one way or the other. If it's labeled as 64 bit Win 7, that's probably what it is. Did you try the 64 bit driver from Nvidia using the link I posted above to see if it would install OK?
Old Jan 13, 2010, 9:26 PM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
The OEM versions may only come one way or the other. If it's labeled as 64 bit Win 7, that's probably what it is. Did you try the 64 bit driver from Nvidia using the link I posted above to see if it would install OK?
Not yet Jim. I have to configure the wide band, internet connection, etc. I'll do it tomorrow. But I can't find how to get a direct info from the computer if it is 32 or 64 bits OS. That's a bad from Microsoft. You should be welcomed with a big Windows 7 Professional 64 bits screen!
Old Jan 14, 2010, 3:13 AM   #106
Administrator

Are you sure you don't see it on the screen about your PC if you go to Control Panel>System and Maintenance>System?
Old Jan 14, 2010, 7:27 AM   #107

I,m seeing this (free translation from Spanich):

Windows Edition

Windows 7 Professional

Evaluation: 5,9
Processor: Intel(R) Core (TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67 GHz
Installed Memory (RAM): 6,00 GB
System type: Operative System of 64 bits

Could this be the answer?
Thanks.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 7:29 AM   #108
Administrator

Yes. It's 64 bit. So, something was probably wrong with the driver you tried. I'd download the current driver from Nvidia (the link I posted earlier) and give it a try.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 9:49 AM   #109

Done! Worked flawesly. Wow, a 133 Mb driver!
Old Jan 14, 2010, 9:57 AM   #110
Administrator

Great. Yep... Of course, that probably includes some of the utlities, too (Nvidia Control panel, etc.), but that's still pretty large. LOL

It's amazing how much times change with advancements in technology, with larger and larger software packages and drivers (not to mention larger and larger file sizes from digital cameras), needing more and more storage space, computing power, etc.