Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Computers and Operating Systems

Old Jan 14, 2010, 10:22 AM   #111

Would you backup and move all relevant data from the older hard disc to the new one, or would you install the old disc in the new computer and use it as a data reservoir? Programs i know i will reinstall all of them from scratch.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2010, 10:46 AM   #112
Administrator

If it were me, I'd probably keep the old machine and use it for something else (local file server, personal video recorder and back end for something like MythTV, spare machine in case something breaks, etc.). I'm getting ready to setup a PC using Mythbuntu that way right now. I've already bought a dual tuner card for it. That way, it will act as a backend for video and tv recordings, music collections, photo galleries, and more (with lots of neat plugins available for news feeds, weather, etc.).

But, if you do install multiple drives in the new PC, there can be some performance benefits by splitting up I/O between them. For example, keeping your OS and Programs on one drive, keeping the data you're working with on another drive, and setting up scratch space and space for temp files used by applications like Photoshop on another drive. That way, the OS can access more than one drive at the same time, without needing to worry about moving the heads back and forth as much to the different areas being used on a single drive.

You may want to look into how the Easy Transfer utility from Microsoft works (designed to let you copy your files and settings to a single file on an external drive, and restore them in Win 7). See Step two in this tutorial. I have no experience with it.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...p-to-windows-7
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2010, 11:45 AM   #113

Looks interesting. I have a 160 GB portable disc that will get used now. I'm downloading Easy Transfer in the former computer cause it's already included in Win 7. In any case, having a backup of the files will be necessary.
Thanks Mentor!
Old Jan 14, 2010, 1:29 PM   #114
Administrator

I'd make sure to buy one large enough to handle what you have now, too.

For example, it would also be a good idea to make a full disk image backup of your operating system and programs, so that you don't have to go through the hassles of reinstalling Windows and programs if something goes wrong that you can't easily recover from (drive failure, malware infections, problems with updates or program installations, or even human error). :-)

That way, you can just restore from the disk image backup instead (and you'd be right back to where you were before the problem occurred).
Old Jan 14, 2010, 2:04 PM   #115

Don't have so much info now. Easy Transfer detected about 40 Gb worth. It's still copying files through my old USB 1 port. I will need much more space when I scan about 100 6X7 negatives and diapos (they charge me U$ 7 each to scan -rotative- to 60 Mb each, that's a total of $ 700 to recover my best photographic memories, ugh).
Now: the Windows 7 Pro 64 and the new processor and video card are a perverse pleasure tu use. I'm installing and downloading programs, copying files, and it's a charm, full of info and posibilities. My low speed 1 Mb adsl improved as hell. Processing a pick takes miliseconds even when simultaneous downloading an Adobe Reader for instance. HD videos run excellent. Audio improved to such point that I'm dubbing if buying an audio card (but I need to record through a Neumann microphone first, to check it out). I installed the Asus drives also. What a toy! I feel like a kid.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 2:12 PM   #116
Administrator

Yep.. Most users I've seen go with a new Intel Core i7 based PC have been extremely impressed with the performance (even those upgrading from relatively fast Core 2 Quad based boxes because they thought they were too slow for processing raw files from their latest higher resolution cameras). It's a pretty nice CPU and associated chipset. That Nvidia card you got with it should be pretty nice, too.

I'd hate to be using a USB 1.0 port though (most are actually USB 1.1 instead). That's got to be slow. I haven't used one of those in years (even my older P4 based boxes have USB 2.0). ;-)
Old Jan 17, 2010, 8:54 PM   #117

It's a fact. With the new computer i can navigate the web much quicker. Pages load almost instantly. Why?
Old Jan 18, 2010, 4:22 AM   #118
Administrator

That could be from any number of reasons. You may have a lot of programs running in the background stealing resources on the old one. Or, you may have a lot of malware running stealing resources (and some of the most infested PCs I've seen were running fully updated virus protection products). ;-)

I don't see a lot of browsing speed issues with slower PCs (as long as they're not too slow). But, I typically run Linux on them. So, I don't run into as many issues with programs in the background hogging resources as you'd find on a typical Windows installation (as many windows programs run stuff in the background for checking updates, and more)

I don't know what you were using, but your new PC is very fast.