Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Computers and Operating Systems

Old Dec 14, 2009, 7:58 AM   #21
Administrator

It looks like if you change the configuration to use 6GB of memory and go with the GTS 240 video card (and if you click on List View after you click on the Personalize button, it's easier to see), leaving everything else at defaults, you should come in at around $2000 USD from what I can see of currency conversions. If that budget is relatively firm, 'd probably lean that way and go with the smaller monitor they're including (which is a relatively inexpensive model) so that I'd have a better video card with it. Here's the cheapest display (you can buy them for a bit over $100 now, so it's probably not adding much to the cost of the system).

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...9&sku=320-8326

Then, get a monitor with an IPS panel later if you want one for more critical image editing (using both of them in a dual display setup).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2009, 4:24 PM   #22

Get a 1TB external HDD. Portable HDs you could store in the safe deposit box.A Bluray burner or a DVD DL burner. I think there are DL Blurays as well. As for the PC, well I am looking at a 2.1ghz 4gb 320gb 15.6" laptop for $500.For the same price a desktop will have 6gb of RAM 700gb HDD.
romphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2009, 4:44 PM   #23
Administrator

Guys:

We just setup a brand new Computers and Operating Systems Forum last night, since there is an obvious need for a place dedicated to this type of discussion (especially given larger file sizes, with more camera owners shooting raw and post processing their images, leading to increased hardware requirements).

So, I'm going to move this thread there now, making it the very first thread in that forum.
Old Jan 1, 2010, 9:02 AM   #24

Great, Jim! This is a promising forum and I'm sure it will be prety useful for many people.
Updating: I’m still searching. There’s a chance to buy an assembled computer with boxed parts similar to the Dell at a much convenient price and there I am.
BTW: I called Dell (Latin-American) to talk about support and other info and as a routine process they began to ask for sensible personal data. When I heard that my document number was required to receive such simple info, I was really mad on them.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2010, 3:51 PM   #25

Updating this post. I got bad consumer opinions about Dell Argentina. Problems are not just Dell, but mainly mail deliveries, duties, delays, dubious long time support, etc. But I can get an assembled computer (boxed items), with 12 months guaranty.
Let me hear your opinions please:

Processor: Intel Quad i7 920, 2.66 GHZ.
Motherboard: Asus P6T PCI express + DDR3 (no USB 3.0).
Video: Invidia GForce 9600 GT, 1Gb, DDR3.
Ram: DDR3 8Gb, 1600 Mhz. Super Talent.
Hard Disk: 1Tb 7200 rpm Serial Ata II.
Cabinet: 600 W power source, 2 front USB 2.0 ports, multiple card reader, DVD, etc.

Price: about U$1300. I can afford that.
Thanks for the help.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 4:10 PM   #26
Administrator

That sounds like a good bet. But, you may want to consider using 9GB (six 2GB sticks) instead of 8GB. You only get dual channel addressing with an 8GB setup using that CPU. If you stick with matched sets of 3 sticks, that CPU gives you tri-channel addressing. So, 6GB (either three 2GB sticks or six 1GB sticks) or 9GB (three 2GB sticks, three 1GB sticks) setups are more common so that you can make use of that CPU feature (giving you much higher bandwidth to memory with a tri-channel setup).
Old Jan 4, 2010, 4:19 PM   #27
Administrator

Or, see if you get a lower price with 6GB instead of 8GB, and wait and add more sticks later on.

There may not be much difference in real world use between dual and tri channel setups. But, I'd probably lean towards a config that either gives me tri-channel addressing to begin with, or one that lets me easily change to a setup like that.

What size sticks and how many are they using with that config?
Old Jan 4, 2010, 5:13 PM   #28

What size sticks? Well... I don't know. I will call them tomorrow, but I guess 3x2, 6 Gb is more than enough at this moment. Thanks for the help Jim.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 6:50 PM   #29
Administrator

It may not make any difference in real world use. So, I probably wouldn't sweat it too much if they're giving you a good deal on an 8GB setup using a dual channel DDR3 setup.

Here are a couple of benchmarks I found with a google search (and it doesn't look like it really makes much difference):

http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/16..._it/index.html

http://www.ninjalane.com/articles/ge...on/dualvtriple

I haven't found one comparing 6GB of tri-channel DDR3 with 8GB of dual channel DDR3. I think I remember seeing one somewhere like that. But, I haven't been able to locate it.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 10:03 PM   #30

Default Pretty deal

This computer looks like a good deal since they use a good motherboard in it. The Asus P6T is an excellent motherboard with tons of features. It has 4 memory slots (4x2gb), supports 2 video cards and is overclockable. The video card is a little dated but is okay if you don't game much. Overall, it is very good deal.
WCKSer is offline   Reply With Quote