Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Computers and Operating Systems

Old Jan 5, 2010, 3:01 PM   #41
Administrator

What applications are you using now?
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2010, 3:15 PM   #42

Better i tell you what I will use: PSC4; a video editor: Office; lots of secondary programs: Norton Security, Irfanview, Noiseware; Photomatix, Windows Media, Nero, Audacity, etc.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2010, 3:25 PM   #43
Administrator

I'd get 64 Bit Windows 7 if you want to use PS CS4. For most other tasks like editing video, burning media, managing music, playing content, etc., there are great apps available for Linux to that kind of thing (and Audacity has a Linux version if you like it); and you'd have OpenOffice.org available for office related files (and it can read and write to MS Office formatted files). You'd also have Firefox for browsing, lots of nice image management applications and more.

You wouldn't need the security related stuff like Norton Security (as Linux is more resistant to malware), and a lot of Windows apps can run in Wine under Linux.

But, CS4 is going to require Windows to work properly (it's a bit picky about it's environment), and you'll want to go with a 64 bit version of it so that you can use all of your available memory. So, I'd get a copy of 64 bit Windows 7 if you want to use it.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 3:30 PM   #44

What if I go Elements?
Old Jan 5, 2010, 3:36 PM   #45
Administrator

Same thing. I don't think it will run under Wine yet (at least not the newest versions of it).

Are you using Photoshop now? What kind of editing do you normally do?

There are some pretty neat applications available for Linux now. For photo management and many editing tasks, the newer versions of digikam are pretty slick. Here's a recent post I made about some of them you may want to take a look at, as it includes links to a lot of popular apps for image editing:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/cr...ml#post1034538

Also, don't judge one Linux distro by another, as you'll see huge differences between them in a variety of areas. Do you know what linux distribution they're installing on it?
Old Jan 5, 2010, 3:45 PM   #46

No. I'm not using Photoshop now. Mostly Gimp. I'm upgrading everything, from my medium format film Mamiya 7 to DSLR (Canon 7D?); from a Pentium III to the Beast (that's the name of my new computer). I'm beggining from scratch. A new creative life. In this moment I've asked my lab a budget to digitize 100 6x7 negatives to max resolution (60 Mb each). Consider me a newborn. I need mentors!
Old Jan 5, 2010, 4:06 PM   #47
Administrator

LOL

If you're already using the GIMP, then sure, try some of the newer Linux distros and see what you think (it's available for virtually all of them). Also, try some of the applications I mentioned in the post I linked to. digiKam is really nice (assuming you go with a distro that has the new 1.0.0 release available).

You can always buy a copy of Windows 7 later if you want to install it.

I'd see what distro they've got installed on it as a first step. Some are easier to use and more full featured compared to others.

For Linux newbies, Mint 8 is probably a good one to look at. You can see a brief review of it here:

http://linuxcritic.com/stories/43-Li...ommentary.html

Another nice distro for linux newbies is SimplyMEPIS.

http://www.mepis.org

Here's a 4 page mini-guide that shows you a bit about it. Just use the tabs at the top of the screen to change between pages

http://www.mepiscommunity.org/miniguide/index.html

It's using what's known as KDE 3.5 for it's desktop (versus Gnome, which is being used by Mint 8 and many distros like Ubuntu by default). They also have a newer beta version out (SimplyMEPIS 8.5 Beta 4 was just announced), using a newer KDE 4.3.4 desktop with lots of neat new features (plasmoids for various tasks on your desktop).

I've got Beta 3 on my wife's laptop right now, and getting ready to download the latest 8.5 Beta 4 (I'm going to install it on my desktop).

What's nice about some of these distros is that you can try them to see what you think without even installing them, since they are capable of running from CD (you just download a .iso file, burn the image to CD and reboot your PC into it). They're slow that way (running from CD versus a hard drive installation), but that lets you test them to make sure they work fine with your hardware and get a feel for the pros and cons of one versus another.

But, if you think you may need applications that are Windows only, it may be a good idea to get a copy of Windows 7, too. I need to run Windows apps from time to time that won't work in Linux, and keep a copy of Windows installed in a dual boot config with Linux. But, I've been thinking about getting a copy of Win 7 and installing it in a Virtual Machine under Linux (so that I don't have to reboot to use it). That way, I can try out newer versions of camera manufacturer's software, etc. more easily (as some of it is not going to work correctly in Linux).
Old Jan 5, 2010, 4:27 PM   #48
Administrator

P.S.

Make sure to try Bibble Pro 5, too (just released a few days ago). It's *very* fast and available for Windows, Linux and Mac operating systems. But, it's not free like most of the applications I've been discussing (digiKam, etc.).

http://www.bibblelabs.com/products/bibble5/

I've been experimenting with it for some time now (testing the earlier Preview/Beta versions of it). For example, you'll see it in the graphics menu (third choice from the top) from this screen capture I made last July, showing the desktop from a community remaster of SimplyMEPIS by Danum, using a KDE 4.2 desktop:

Click on the image for a larger version:

Old Jan 5, 2010, 4:38 PM   #49

A lot to learn Jim. My brain's in flames.
I'm keeping track of all your recomendations.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 4:49 PM   #50
Administrator

It doesn't cost a thing to try out most of those types of applications, other than your time. There are pros and cons to any solution.

Well... perhaps with the exception of Windows 7, since I don't think they offer a trial version of it (although I might be mistaken). :-)

But for applications like Bibble 5 Pro, you can dowload a trial version to see if you like it or not. The Linux distros I've mentioned are free, as are applications like digiKam I mentioned. Ditto for OpenOffice.org, Firefox, and lots of other applications.

Windows 7 does appear to be a big improvement over earlier versions by most accounts. So, it may be something you want to consider, too. That way, you'll be able to run any Windows apps you may find interesting later, without worrying about if they'll run OK under Linux or not.