Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Computers and Operating Systems

Old Jan 8, 2010, 12:20 PM   #51

Today I was presented with a Windows XP 64 bits Professional. Should I install it and then upgrade to Windows 7 64 bits? Or better get a new Windows 7?
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2010, 12:27 PM   #52
Administrator

64 Bit XP Pro, huh?

I dunno..

You'd have to try it and see if it works with your hardware and peripherals OK or not. Hardware Driver support for 64 bit XP Pro is probably not going to be as good as it is for 64 bit Vista or Windows 7, since 64 Bit XP Pro was not as popular as the 32 bit versions, and a lot of hardware manufacturers may not have written drivers for it.

But, it may be one way to get a better price on 64 Bit Win 7 Pro (which gives you access to more features like XP mode that you don't get with Win 7 Home Premium). You'd need to do what amounts to a clean install when upgrading to Win 7 Pro. But, when the Win 7 Upgrade sees an existing copy of 64 Bit XP Pro already installed, that should handle the ability to use an upgrade version of it. You'll want to go 64 Bit Windows 7 in order to use all of your memory (since the 32 Bit versions of Windows are not going to use but around 3GB of your 6GB that's installed)
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2010, 2:26 PM   #53

The upgrade is $199. Wow. Playing the beag leagues is costly.I hope not to find many drivers and hardware installation problems.Guess that I'll get the Beast tomorrow. They are assembling and testing it today.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 2:41 PM   #54
Administrator

I was wondering about whether you had it yet or not. I thought the final config was already i place when you mentioned it earlier and you were just waiting to receive it. LOL

Yea. That sounds too high to me (upgrade for $199). Didn't you say they said they'd put Windows 7 on it for less than that (Home Premium versus Pro)?

They should be able to get pretty good pricing on the OEM versions of Windows 7. That means that you can't take the same copy and install it later on a new machine if you upgrade your hardware later.

But, that may not be important to you anyway (by that time, there could be a newer operating system available, depending on how long you keep the same PC; and you may want to keep using the existing one for something else anyway).

Win 7 Pro has some extra features available like the ability to use XP Mode (which is basically a copy of XP running in a Virtual Machine that you could use with applications that have compatibility issues with Windows 7).

But, if the applications you want to use "play nice" with Windows 7, then you probably don't need the Pro version for most uses.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 2:48 PM   #55
Administrator

Here in the U.S., you can get an OEM version of 64 bit Windows 7 Pro for $139.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-758-_-Product

IOW, you wouldn't need to have an existing copy of Windows in order to install it on a new machine you're having built like that.

The only real downside to an OEM versus Retail version is that you can't use it on another PC later if you decide to upgrade your PC. But, even if you did decide to upgrade to a newer machine later, you may still want to keep using the old one for something else.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 4:46 PM   #56

Remember the Home Premium runs on 32 bits and won't recognize the 6 Gb RAM.Well: I received the machine today. It's scaring! I have a complete check in luggage of boxes, manual, drives, CDs cables, etc. Itís amazing what technology can make these days. Vendor at the shop told me once I install the win xp pro, installation is a snap, a series of Next. But i will give The Beast to a pro installer. Got to make back ups of all documents, reinstallations of programs, etc. This will be about a week or two and then relearning everything from scratch. Blame you Jim! This is all your fault!
Old Jan 8, 2010, 4:51 PM   #57
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ordo View Post
Remember the Home Premium runs on 32 bits and won't recognize the 6 Gb RAM.
Microsoft offers both 32 bit and 64 bit versions of Windows 7 Home Premium. The OEM versions are the same price in the U.S. The retail box version of it includes both 32 bit and 64 bit.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 4:57 PM   #58
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ordo View Post
Blame you Jim! This is all your fault!
Well... Being the nice guy that I am, and so that you don't need to go through all of that, you can send it to me and I'll try to make some room for it here. That way, you want need to feel obligated to use it.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 5:09 PM   #59
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Microsoft offers both 32 bit and 64 bit versions of Windows 7 Home Premium. The OEM versions are the same price in the U.S. The retail box version of it includes both 32 bit and 64 bit.
Examples of listings at newegg.com

64 Bit Windows 7 Home Premium 0EM Version

32 Bit Windows 7 Home Premium OEM Version

Windows 7 Home Premium - Full Retail (includes both 32 bit and 64 bit).
Old Jan 8, 2010, 5:38 PM   #60

That's good news Jim. Thanks.