Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Computers and Operating Systems

Old Jan 9, 2010, 3:34 PM   #71
Administrator

Again, it depends on what you're doing. I see posts on other forums all the time from users already using pretty decent dual and quad core based machines wanting to upgrade to something faster, because they think they're too slow, even after getting more ram and multiple drives to spread the i/o around. ;-)

If you're processing a lot of raw files, using noise reduction, etc., you may want something that works better.

Ditto for video editing (and the OP wants to do video editing). The more cores, the better for most newer software for that purpose (as most of it is being written to take advantage of more cores). That's one reason the Core i7 920 is around 4 times as fast doing video editing, as compared to something like an Intel Core 2 Duo with the same clock speed.

That trend is probably going to continue as time passes (more software will be written to spin off more threads to take advantage of newer CPUs).

If you start looking at your time savings over the life of a PC, it doesn't take much to cover the cost of a faster box, depending on what your time is worth.

it's all a matter of perspective. ;-)

My latest machine has an Intel Core 2 Quad CPU in it (bought in 2008), and I've been thinking about upgrading it to something faster myself.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2010, 4:06 PM   #72
Administrator

Besides, if you look at the prices of the Apple Mac Mini in Argentina, one with a 2.53Ghz Core 2 Duo, 4GB of RAM, a 320GB Hard Drive and an Nvidia 9400GM based video card is going to run your over $1300USD from what I can see of prices there with current currency conversion rates :-)

See the bottom listing on this page for an example:

http://www.macstore.com.ar/listado.p...Subcategoria=4

That's almost as much as the machine the OP just bought for $1495, only he's getting a CPU that's *dramatically* faster for tasks like video editing (with 4 physical cores and 4 extra threads it can process via HT for 8 threads total), a much larger hard drive (1TB), more and faster memory (6GB of DDR3), a dramatically faster video card (useful for video editing), and much more expandability.
Old Jan 9, 2010, 4:40 PM   #73
Administrator

Now, if you prefer OS X, that may be a good reason to go Apple. I'm not exactly a huge fan of Windows myself. :-)

But, Apple's hardware prices are usually a bit out of line as far as "bang for the buck" compared to some of the alternatives available.
Old Jan 9, 2010, 7:43 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Now, if you prefer OS X, that may be a good reason to go Apple. I'm not exactly a huge fan of Windows myself. :-)

But, Apple's hardware prices are usually a bit out of line as far as "bang for the buck" compared to some of the alternatives available.
I missed the part about video editing...

My bad.

Yes, video can still benefit from increased speed.

However, my recomendation for anything short of video (and perhaps Modeling and Rendering, which I do extensively on my old machine) a Mac Mini, (without the dual Core) is more than fast enough. And $800 bucks will buy you a Mini that is powerful enough.

In my opinion, while Apple machines are more expensive, they are also more reliable and better constructed. You get what you pay for. Heck, you can run Windows on the new Macs, and at full speed.

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2010, 8:02 PM   #75
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chato View Post
However, my recomendation for anything short of video (and perhaps Modeling and Rendering, which I do extensively on my old machine) a Mac Mini, (without the dual Core) is more than fast enough. And $800 bucks will buy you a Mini that is powerful enough.
Not in Argentina from what I can see of prices there. ;-)

It looks like a "bare bones" Mac Mini with a 2Ghz Core 2 Duo CPU and a small 120GB drive is running over $900 from what I can see from current prices using currency converters.
Old Jan 9, 2010, 8:11 PM   #76
Administrator

And they go up from there. ;-)

http://www.macstation.com.ar/categoria.php?catid=34

IOW, by the time you got a box with 4GB of memory, and a 320GB drive, and a 2.5Ghz CPU, you'd be spending over $1300 USD; and still have a system with a much slower CPU, a much slower video card, a much smaller drive, with less (and slower) RAM compared to the system the OP is buying for only $1495 there.

http://www.xe.com/ucc/convert.cgi?Am...8&image=Submit
Old Jan 9, 2010, 9:44 PM   #77

Software cost and expandability is an issue too. I will instal a pro audio card soon.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2010, 10:01 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
And they go up from there. ;-)

http://www.macstation.com.ar/categoria.php?catid=34

IOW, by the time you got a box with 4GB of memory, and a 320GB drive, and a 2.5Ghz CPU, you'd be spending over $1300 USD; and still have a system with a much slower CPU, a much slower video card, a much smaller drive, with less (and slower) RAM compared to the system the OP is buying for only $1495 there.

http://www.xe.com/ucc/convert.cgi?Am...8&image=Submit
From your links, a 2 GHz machine, with a 320 gig drive, costs $1034...

I would settle for the cheaper machine, which comes out to $800 and change, and add on my own peripherals.

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2010, 4:58 AM   #79
Administrator

I don't see where you're getting that unless you're using the deal they've got to get 10% off by making 12 payments with two different credit card choices. My guess is that they've got a deal with those cards so that they're getting a kick back or something like that. But, in any event, they're much slower machines, especially if you don't up the memory from those base configs (1GB and 2GB respectfully for the first two on that page).

I think my wife's 2 year old Core 2 Duo based Dell Inspiron 1720 laptop (bought in December 2007) has about those same specs (although it looks like the Mini is probably using a newer version of the Intel Core 2 Mobile CPU line, used often in laptops). I don't use it for processing images very often, as it tends to "choke" trying to browse through large folders of raw+jpeg files while building previews, taking up more of my time to get anything done (and the last time I did that on it, I was using Bibble Pro 4, which is much faster than most similar products). I'll probably install the newer Bibble 5 Pro on it soon. It's not uncommon for me to take 800+ photos like that (ending up with > 1600 files in one folder) in a single afternoon if shooting some kind of event, and I can imagine it would be pretty slow for editing video. I should probably bump up the memory to 4GB and see if that helps and/or add a second drive to it to spread out the I/O (since it can handle two).

It just wouldn't make sense to me to pay that much for an Apple Mini, then need to add to it to get more disk space for photos and videos, then still end up with a much slower machine than you could buy with the same money, unless you really like OS X. That's about the only reason i could see to buy one (if you prefer OS X over other Operating Systems), and I can understand someone want to do that (again, I'm not a huge Windows fan myself).
Old Jan 10, 2010, 7:22 AM   #80
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ordo View Post
I will instal a pro audio card soon.
It looks that Asus P6T has some pretty good audio features built in from what I can see of it's features page, depending on what you are trying to do.

If you download the latest BIOS update and audio drivers for it, you should also get DTS Surround Sound Sensation UltraPC (their features page says you may need to install the latest BIOS updates and drivers for that feature).

It looks like that Asus P6T Motherboard has these Audio features built in:

RealtekŪ ALC1200 8 -Channel High Definition Audio CODEC
Coaxial / Optical S/PDIF out ports at back I/O
ASUS Noise Filter
Support Jack-Sensing, Enumeration, Multi-streaming and Jack-Retasking
DTS Surround Sensation UltraPC