Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Computers and Operating Systems

Old Jan 10, 2010, 12:25 AM   #1

Default Do you know about different types of the firewalls?

Hi Friends,
Is anyone help me to aware about different types of the firewall?
The only thing which I know about firewall is that, firewall is used to restrict the particular web-site
Please let me know in detail about the different type of the firewalls.

Thanks for any help.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 7:33 AM   #2
Administrator

What are you trying to accomplish?

Chances are, if you've already got high speed internet, you may be using a router with a firewall built in, so that no traffic can get to your network unless you want it to (via filtering of specific traffic types and more).

You'll also find software firewalls with lots of functionality, even allowing you to restrict access to your PC to specific IP Addresses, traffic types, ports, etc. That can be handy if you do something like setup a web server and only want specific IP Addresses to be able to get to it. Many personal firewalls can also restrict outgoing traffic as desired (for example, you may not want to let an application to connect to the internet and "phone home" without your permission). You can also block traffic to specific sites by using the hosts files built into some operating systems like Windows (adding the addresses for those sites to a text file). Some malware prevention products use that technique to prevent your browser from connecting to them (by automatically adding known malicious sites to it with each database update).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote