Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Computers and Operating Systems

Old Feb 13, 2010, 4:38 PM   #21
Administrator

I'm afraid I'm not following you. The test of the laptops wasn't even showing speeds that a USB 2.0 attached drive should be capable of (hence my thinking that something was flawed with the test).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2010, 4:59 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
I'm afraid I'm not following you. The test of the laptops wasn't even showing speeds that a USB 2.0 attached drive should be capable of (hence my thinking that something was flawed with the test).
According to Mikes posted link, the tester was getting speeds of twice USB 2, which falls very nicely with speeds of rated memory cards, or any other storage system. He explained it by saying that copying small files is a time consuming process, by the very nature of computers. But I am adding that perhaps he was also using the wrong PC card.

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2010, 5:22 PM   #23
Administrator

Actually, from what I can see, he didn't get speeds twice as fast. Also, his very fastest read speed (even using an SSD attached via a USB 3.0) was only 31MB/Second (slower for mechanical drives tested)

I've seen tests of USB 2.0 attached mechanical hard drives showing read speeds that fast, and tests I've seen of USB 3.0 attached drives so far have shown them to be much faster than that test got with them. Yes, more smaller files can be a factor. But, that's still way too slow from tests I've seen so far, especially for the read speed side of the test for a USB 3.0 attached drive (something seems to be causing a performance issue with his test platforms).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote