Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Computers and Operating Systems

Old Jan 31, 2010, 12:34 AM   #1

Default Good Laptop for Photo? - HP Compaq Presario CQ61-320CA

Hi all,

My current laptop is having issues and will need to be replaced however as I can get one for work I was thinking of getting another one solely for my photo's and photography software and not to run MS Office, etc. Right now I have the software that came with my G11 and an out dated Photoshop program which will be updated once I get a new laptop. I'll also use it to go on the net occasionally to upload programs (ie Photomatix - possibly).

I've looked up the above listed computer with the following specs and was wondering if anyone is currently using this computer and if there's good/bad feedback. At the moment I'm using Vista and haven't heard much about Windows 7. Presently the laptop is listed at priced at 449.50 cnd.

Graphics: ATI Radeon™ HD 4200 Graphics with 128MB Display Cache Memory AMD RS880M with 128MB GDDR2 (sideport memory)
Up to 958MB total graphics memory

Memory: 2048MB DDR2 System Memory

Processor: AMD Athlon™ II Dual-Core Processor for Notebook PCs M300
• 2.00 GHz, 1MB L2 Cache, Up to 3.2 GT/s system bus running at AC/DC mode 35 watt

Optial Drive Type: LightScribe SuperMulti 8X DVD±R/RW with Double Layer Support

Display Resolution: 1366 x 768
Display Size: 15.6" Diagonal High Definition HP Brightview

For full specs see:
http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/ca/en...8-3938633.html

I'm not well educated on all this so any advice would be appreciative. Because this will be a secondary unit solely for Photography I don't want to get extravagant in price and was hoping to find something less than 700 (taxes in) which would meet my needs but not be a piece of junk either.
Shutterbug74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 31, 2010, 2:39 AM   #2

We use HP's laptops at work, and I think HP quality has gone down allot from years ago, in 4 years, I have gone through 3 HP hard drives. Window 7 does not seem to be that backwards compatible with older software. Our IT department doubt we will be switching over to window 7 anytime soon. We are still using XP which is less headaches then vista.

You may want to look at a dell instead. I am not at all impress with HP.

But on my personal computer, I decided to switch over to a macbook pro last year. Been the best investment I made. It is so much more user friendly then window.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 9:22 AM   #3

Thanks! I've worked off of all prior Windows systems including XP and currently have Vista (which I'm not impressed with) but am not at all familiar with W7. I haven't ever worked on a Mac before....is it easy for someone to get use too if they've been a MS user all their life?
Old Jan 31, 2010, 10:20 AM   #4

Transition to a mac was very easy coming form window, the help feature is very useful and easy to understand. I love using iphoto to manage my photos. It is so simple a program to use.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 10:30 AM   #5

PS if there is an apple reseller in your town, apple pays them to give free classes to customers. It is a whole cult thing with apple. But it is nice get free classes.
Old Feb 1, 2010, 9:36 PM   #6

Stay away from buying Compaq which is HP's low end line. My brother in law works for HP says if you have to get a HP made laptop, get one which is branded HP. They have Compaq computers in their office and they are nothing but trouble. Dell seems to be pretty good in the past but lately there is talks about their quality is not as good as before.

I have 3 Toshiba laptops in the house ranging from 1.5 to 6 years old. All 3 have been abused by my son who is a heavy computer user and survived. The oldest one finally crapped out not from heavy usage but from accident. He dropped it on the floor and cracked the LCD display.

Windows based laptop is cheap in comparison to a Mac. I consider them as good value especially it is coming with Windows 7 which fixes most of the problems which plaques different version of Windows in the past. It is now more efficient and runs faster especially the bootup time. Although the Mac is clearly a better laptop, but can you beat the price on the Windows laptop?

Windows 7 runs better with more memory, the more the merrier. Don't get a laptop which has only 2 gb of memory. At $600-700 range, you should be able to get one which comes with 4 gb of RAM. Also, stay away from Acer and Gateway, they don't last very long.

Last edited by WCKSer; Feb 1, 2010 at 9:39 PM.
WCKSer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2010, 11:41 PM   #7

WCKSer, thank you very much for the HP insight. I was familiar with the "Compaq" name but clueless as to their performance....

From all of the Mac support/reports, I'd like one but as this will be a secondary unit I can't justify spending the money (although I'd like too)...particularly since I'm also going to purchase a XSi or T1i within the coming months - still haven't decided which route too take on that score. We also don't have a store like Shoturtle mentioned close by so buying new is the only option for me.

I hadn't looked at Toshiba, as I'm use to HP and Dell being the "main" units from when I was working full time in an office. Odd that you should mention Gateway as that one was mentioned too me aswell by the sales clerk.
Old Feb 1, 2010, 11:59 PM   #8

The toshiba is actually not a bad idea. My wife and I uses to have toshiba laptops. And they were very reliable hardware wise, windows was a different story. I have not heard about their quality going down like HP.