Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Computers and Operating Systems

Old Feb 2, 2010, 12:10 PM   #1

Default Ordered a new PC

Well I ordered a new PC. I've had my Dell 8400 for 5 years now and since I've started editing photos I feel like I need more power. My goal was to get as much horsepower as I could without having to build my own or spend a fortune.

I ordered a ZT Systems from Costco with the Intel i7 chip, 12 GB of ram, and 1 TB HD. I read what I could and several people suggested the casing and buttons are cheaply made while many others argued it is a lot for the money.

Never ordered from Costco before but with the 2 year warranty they offer and good return policy I figured I would take a chance on this ZT (I had not heard of before I started shopping).

One issue I know is that it comes with Windows 7 Home Premium which I understand is not compatible with Adobe CS3 so I will upgrade the Windows to use the XP mode for CS3.

Hopefully it will be here in a week or so. I'll let you know what I think of it.

Andy
griffina6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 2, 2010, 4:08 PM   #2

CS3 may just run on Windows 7. Install it on your new computer to find out if it works before you downgrade the OS to XP. Worst case is that you have uninstall it in event it does not work.

Remember: XP only recognizes 3 gb of RAM and the rest of your 9 gb are unusable.
WCKSer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2010, 4:19 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCKSer View Post
Remember: XP only recognizes 3 gb of RAM and the rest of your 9 gb are unusable.
That's right. A Windows 7 Pro (or home premium) 64 bits will do a better RAM management. Not cheap tho...
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2010, 7:42 PM   #4

No, not planning to downgrade to XP. Instead I plan to upgrade from Windows 7 Home Premium to Windows 7 Pro. I have read that you need the Pro or Ultimate version of Windows 7 to run old XP programs.
Old Feb 7, 2010, 12:17 AM   #5

Just installed the Adobe CS3 on the new PC. I tried three times but it would not install on Windows 7 Home Premium. So I spent another $96 and upgraded to Windows 7 Professional. Took about ten minutes to upgrade. Then I tried to install CS3 and it went right in with no problems. I'll let you know if any issues do come up with the CS3. Next up install MS Office then get the extra hard drive (one with most of my photos) from the old PC and install in the new one. Andy
Old Feb 7, 2010, 7:24 PM   #6

I am glad it works out for you. A $96 Windows upgrade is certainly cheaper than buying a new copy of CS4.
WCKSer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2010, 12:27 AM   #7

Okay I have a problem. Has anyone else had this issue?

I like to shoot in RAW format but Adobe Bridge and Photoshop will not read CR2 files in this Windows 7. I can use Canon Digital Photo Professional to open the Raw files and then send it over to Photoshop (it converts it o TIFF format), then I can work with it in Photoshop but this is not the way I wish to work.

Do others use this TIFF format?

Andy
Old Feb 25, 2010, 8:21 AM   #8
Administrator

Hey Andy. I just noticed your post. Your problem has nothing to do with Windows 7. If you reinstalled CS3, you don't have the latest Camera Raw plugin in order to open raw files from many cameras added since then.

Each camera is unique, so you have to make sure the version of Adobe Camera Raw you're using supports a specific camera model.

Just upgrade the Camera Raw.8bi plugin and you'll be able to open raw files from your 50D (it was added in Camera Raw version 4.6, released in October 2008):

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloa...jsp?ftpID=4040

You'll see installation instructions on the download page (basically, you need to unzip the downloaded file and copy the Camera Raw.8bi plugin to the correct folder under CS3).

Note that 4.6 is the last Camera Raw plugin available for CS3. So, to open .cr2 files from some newer models, you'll either need to convert them to .dng using the free Adobe DNG Converter, or upgrade to a newer version of Photoshop (the newer 5.x versions of the Camera Raw plugin are not compatible with CS3).

You can see the available versions on this page:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloa...atform=Windows
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2010, 6:12 PM   #9

Thanks Jim.

I did stumble upon this a little while back and tried using this file but have not been able to work. I have been using the CR2 to DNG converter for the past few weeks.

Andy
Old Mar 2, 2010, 8:29 AM   #10
Administrator

You're probably missing a step somewhere. Basically, you need to make sure you unzip the download for Camera Raw version 4.6 (and make sure it's 4.6 versus another version) and copy the extracted Camera Raw.8bi file to the correct folder.

This is probably where it needs to go if you're running a 64 bit version of Win 7:

Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS3\File Formats

This is where you can get the plugin for version 4.6:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloa...jsp?ftpID=4040
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote