Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Computers and Operating Systems

Old Feb 2, 2010, 2:56 PM   #1

Default IEEE 1394 port

I found that the Asus P6T motherboard has a IEEE 1394 port. What's the main use of this port? Can I use it to transfer photographic and video data? Is seems to work faster than USB 2.0:

Comparison with USB.

Although high-speed USB 2.0 nominally runs at a higher signaling rate than FireWire 400, data transfers over S400 FireWire interfaces generally outperform similar transfers over USB 2.0 interfaces. Typical USB PC-hosts rarely exceed sustained transfers of 280 Mbit/s, with 240 Mbit/s being more typical. This is likely due to USB's reliance on the host-processor to manage low-level USB protocol, whereas FireWire delegates the same tasks to the interface hardware (requiring less or no CPU usage). For example, the FireWire host interface supports memory-mapped devices, which allows high-level protocols to run without loading the host CPU with interrupts and buffer-copy operations.
Besides throughput, other differences are that it uses simpler bus networking, provides more power over the chain, more reliable data transfer, and uses fewer CPU resources.
FireWire 800 is substantially faster than Hi-Speed USB, both in theory and in practice.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 2, 2010, 4:03 PM   #2

If I remember correctly some early digital camera has firewire 1394 port built in to transfer of picture files in and out of the camera. IEE194 is not that popular these days as the standard never did take off and become as common as USB 2.0. IEEE 1394 is faster and more reliable than USB 2.0. I don't know why it never realizes its potentials. Perhaps because not every motherboard has this port built in and most people don't bother to get an add-on card just to obtain this feature.

If you are looking for a faster way to backup or store picture files on an external hard drive. eSATA may be a better way to go if you have an unused SATA port in your computer. It has the same performance as the internal hard drive, but it sits outside and is portable.
WCKSer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2010, 8:50 PM   #3

Professional audio and video equipment usually uses IEEE 1394 / FireWire
Old Feb 4, 2010, 5:19 AM   #4

I use a Sony Dat recorder, a Mackie mixer and Neumann microphones.
Can I use the IEEE 1394 port to go from DAT to the hard disk using the appropiate cable?
Old Feb 4, 2010, 10:54 AM   #5

Yes you can daisy chain FireWire

Ooops I may have misunderstood you. Most firewire audio devices can't record straight to a FireWire hard drive if that's what you're asking (SOME can). You CAN daisy chain them on the way to a computer or other host
Old Feb 4, 2010, 11:46 AM   #6

Hmmm. I think i'll try coaxial or optical output (DAT) to coaxial or optical input (MOTHERBOARD) first and see what happens. Thanks.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 9:11 PM   #7

ADAT and S/PDIF are not compatible, so see which your DAT outputs (or both). Your motherboard will only accept S/PDIF input. Both ADAT and S/PDIF use the same connectors (RCA for copper, TosLink for fibre)
Old Feb 4, 2010, 9:52 PM   #8

But wait till later in the year and early next year, UBS 3 will make all the arguments a moot point. As it will be faster then all other systems out there. Apple has gave up on firewire for USB 3.
Old Feb 5, 2010, 11:53 AM   #9

Man, i'm stupid. It's a S/PDIF output on the mother, not an input...
No way out: it's Microphone > Mackie mixer (with phantom) > LINE OUT to mini jack to the computer. I hate mini jacks!
Old Feb 7, 2010, 12:12 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
But wait till later in the year and early next year, UBS 3 will make all the arguments a moot point. As it will be faster then all other systems out there. Apple has gave up on firewire for USB 3.
Apple gave up on firewire long before there as even a glimmer of USB 3.

On my present machine I have Firewire 400, and it dusts USB 2.0 in practice. In practical terms, at least three times as fast.

Of course, I'm an old foggy, and even have an SCSI board for my older scanners and drives (SCSI dusts USB as well).

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote